Question: suggestion for affordable alternative to engravers block?

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos,
For the price I paid for the turntable from Dick Blick art supplies, it's working great. That said, it does not have the friction break like the GRS, and it does have a little higher profile, but it turns smoothly, and it does not wobble, so for now I'm happy with it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this 3.5" steel half ball i found at the j. yard over a year ago. it was supposed to be a perfect sphere. eventually getting an even coat of hdpu. it would then become a seal in an industrial valve. i had other ideas-- drilled/tapped .5" hole about an inch in. it rotates ever so smoothly in a socket i made out of ldpe. if i ever get around to it, will become a beautiful little spinner for small stuff. light & very easy to manipulate.

Attachments

• VALVE BALL.jpg
    VALVE BALL.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 187

Alan T

Last edited:

dimovengraving

Elite Cafe Member
My five cents on the topic - my old concrete (cement) ball vise :

Last edited:

Aventuraal

For a number years while I traveled for work, I used a standard PanaVise. Pretty stable, really rather smooth if you the clamp correctly, even with hammer and chisel. Just had to clamp it down to the hotel's nightstand. Compact. Inexpensive and useful for lots of other things. I still use it today for soldering.

Latest posts

Sponsors