Student's first attempt at micro sculpting

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think this is great work, especially for someone's first attempt at sculpting, much less micro-sculpting. This is the work of my student Johnny Schipp (Harpuahound). He's a jeweler from Georgia who's here taking lessons this week. I can't wait to see the jewelry he uses this technique on. I thought I'd share this photo with the forum...he just finished this about 30 minutes ago.

~Sam

Attachments

• johnny_schipp.jpg
    johnny_schipp.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 341

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amazing that this is someone first attempt, those lessons of you Sam must be very special or do you use a whip. ;-))

Sam

Staff member
Willem: I don't beat students, but I use fear and intimidation to get results. I tell them to either do good engraving or I'll play my banjo. That's scares them into doing their best work.

I should add that Johnny is not a beginner. I'm just teaching him some techniques that's he's not done before, and I told him I'll probably be taking lessons from him in a year or two. He's quite good.

Marcus: I'll shoot a photo of the punch tomorrow.

Cheers / ~Sam

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Tell Johnny that's a pretty nice result for a first try at it!

(there may be something in the Geneva Convention about using the banjo as an instrument of torture...you might want to check! Ha ha)

Weldon

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, now I just have to comment on this. Outstanding first try, Johnny.

Sam, didn't cross the line Weldon, because he didn't do water banjoing. That is almost unbearable........... HeeHeeHee

Ron S

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron...that's great!

We really shouldn't take away from Johnny's sculpting with our twisted sense of humor!. We both know how tough this is to do & he really did a great job! I am looking forward to Sam's post of the punch pics. I am getting more into using airtools & this is a great example (I assume knowing Sam) of what can be done with them. To do that with a hammer & chisel isn't impossible....just really hard to do!

WL

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Whoa...This is great...! Students can teach us so much...what I love is the skill that comes out from wanting to avoid a good and sound ear thumping by Sam !

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know the focus on this forum is on firearms but I love to see what can be applied to jewelry that's innovative.
I hope your student is on to something that he's willing to share. Great start.
Kevin P.

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
I have three days of class left so I have to be careful what I say...I have only seen the banjo at this point. But its a looming threat at all times. The teaching is top notch though. Thanks for the all the kind words guys.

Sam

Staff member
I know the focus on this forum is on firearms but I love to see what can be applied to jewelry that's innovative.
I hope your student is on to something that he's willing to share. Great start.
Kevin P.

Kevin: For the record, there are many gun engravers who are Cafe members, the focus here is on engraving, and not necessarily firearms engraving. I for one, haven't engraved a gun in many years. But there's no denying there are gang of gun engravers here. :)

Engrave on! / ~Sam

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
could we begin calling him the "micromeister" ? from the look of that piece, i don't see why we couldn't.

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
When I took Sam's class he explained that a polite banjo player is somebody who knows how to play but doesn't. I have heard him play -- I'll listen until he quits. Les Holmes

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I heard a story a few months ago about a banjo player who left his prized banjo in the car whilst he nipped in to the bank.

As his trunk was full, and wanting to keep it out of the sight of thieves, he hid it under a blanket on the back seat, locked the car and went about his business. When he returned ten minutes later, he was dismayed to find the rear window smashed.

Fearing that his prized instrument had been stolen, he rushed to to the car, opened the door and grabbed the blanket only to find that instead of one banjo, he now had two banjos!!!

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I took Sam's class he explained that a polite banjo player is somebody who knows how to play but doesn't. I have heard him play -- I'll listen until he quits. Les Holmes

For those who haven't heard check out Bela Fleck banjo player extraordinare.
Kevin P.