Critique Request Strop Plate

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
I am working on a straight razor strop for a friend. This is the mounting plate for the top of the strop. I was trying to work on my decorative borders (keeping everything even and metered including the shading) as well as more lettering. The plate is 2" wide and about 1.5" tall. It will be attached to the leather with screw rivits. I haven't gotten to engrave the rivits yet.

all critiques welcome, thanks for looking.
John

Attachments

• shear madness strop plate 01s.jpg
    shear madness strop plate 01s.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 203

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cool project John. Since you asked for critique: The design is pleasing to the eye and if you start the shading lines from the tip of the leaf as thin(narrow) as you can, and deepen(widen) the cuts having them merge at the bottom of the leaves, it will look much better.

I'm sure your friend will like it as is though:thumbsup:

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Hi John, As Peter said that is a Cool Project! The Barber should like it! As shading I agree should be a fine line to start and get wider at the base where they all come together. That's something I have been working on a lot myself. Thanks for showing and keep cutting!
Gary

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
Ok this is off subject; but as someone who regularly uses a straight razor, something to think about... For this project, or futcher ones. Most modern straights are 3 inces wide, and it's ALOT easier to strop on a 3 inch wide strop without cutting the strop. Just food for thought

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks K Frei,
I'm also a straight junkie. I have normally made a 2" x 24" strop because I can get good quality latigo blanks at that size. I have been looking at trying to make some 3" ones, but that is going to intail purchasing an entire hide of leather and that can get a bit pricey. I do plan on making some in the future, but I'm going to want to make them top quality with all the trimmings.

thanks
John

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
It says you are in Oklahoma... you shouldn't have any trouble finding a saddle maker somewhat close to you; you should be able to make friends with one and get it in about any size for next to nothing... on top of that if they do custom saddles you may be able to pick up some work engraving conchos and things for them

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Actually, it would be easy enough to simply taper the width of the strop where it attaches to the plate. I wouldn't think it would matter if the strop were wider than the plate.

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
It says you are in Oklahoma... you shouldn't have any trouble finding a saddle maker somewhat close to you; you should be able to make friends with one and get it in about any size for next to nothing... on top of that if they do custom saddles you may be able to pick up some work engraving conchos and things for them

I honestly hadn't thought of that, thanks K
John