Question: Stippling with gravermeister

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
I got to be doing something wrong. When I'm doing background work I have the machine set to 1200spm(max) and have at it. My problem is I can do a area about one square inch an my hand feels like ants crawling all over it from the impacts from the handpeice. I think I even rattled a filling loose! Do I need less go peddle or change my strokes?

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
I would say---hang it up!
Drop a cord down over your vice, hang a thick rubber band on the end, pass your air line through it, put a small paper-wing-type clamp on the air inline and adjust so it floats above your vice. That takes the stress of your hands. Put wire shrink-wrap a little back from the tip for your fingers to hang on to.
Hope that helps.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the advice! Don't know how many of yal have experience with old gravermeister's but this thing is a beast stippling. It's like a miniature jack hammer!

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
30 years here. The size of the point makes a lot of difference. Also the taper you use at the point. Faster speed will give you a different effect as well. Fred

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Make sure that you push as hard as you can on the foot pedal. Don't back off at all. If in doubt then push harder.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The original old gravermeister handpieces are huge beasts. Investing in a smaller modern handpiece for your machine would be a good idea if you don't plan to upgrade to a gravermach or gravermax.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I used the LT handle for many years. That one was shaped like a long somewhat thin cigar. For stippling I held it like a pencil and don't recall any hand problems. As I got older it did get a bit hard on my fingers when cutting harder metals. A palm handle type handpiece cured that and I still hold the tool like a pencil for stippling with no hand problems.

Like Marrinan, I used the 'meister for 30 years and it served me well.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
mine is the one above the light.. its almost big around as a quarter and about 6-7 inchs long.. I might also add this sucker gets kinda warm if im engraving longer than a hour or so.

i called grs about getting a new handpiece for it but because its the slow model i would have to get the upgrade or the new unit wouldnt work right.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i use "the old beast" as our landlord calls it. not a problem for my hand, though. are you holding the tool in a comfortable hold, or using a "death grip" to hold onto it ? your grip on any tool should be as comfy as possible to avoid wrist and finger fatigue. when totally new to this game, i'd have such a heavy grip on the graver handle, after a few hours, i'd have to pry my fingers from around the wood graver handle.

guzzi

Call GRS and ask for the slip-on foam overlay that is used on the System 3, the outer diameter of the old LT handpiece is close to the System 3. Don't remember the cost but it is a cheap solution to your discomfort. jb