stippling stainless steel

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
I have been using a 1/8" carbide sharpened to a needle point , I was looking for the proper tip shape to give me the darkest grey/ black backround . thanks for your input- mike

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mike: I sharpen to a needle point, too. Some engravers facet the point with 3 or 4 facets which also produces a dark background. Mine is round, though.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In the handpiece; either a GRS or Lindsay will work great. Just don't let it go by itself but do it like in Sam's tutorial or it'll dig a hole right through the other side... (been there, done it, and didn't get a T-shirt)

Hold it just above the surface and hit the gas and let it sort of tickle the surface rather than dig deep into it in one spot and not in another. You can stipple lightly or deeply but keep it as consistent as possible. On the up stroke the tip should come clear of the surface albeit microscopically, to work best. This helps keep better control of it as well as making the stipple marks more uniform in shape and size which makes for a more even tone or shade.

If you're doing it with a punch and hammer it'll take a month of Sundays to do it, better to use a matting punch in that situation and ink it afterwards.

Last edited:

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, I'm using a gravermach,works great
Tim, thats just what I did,works well and I know now what you mean by digging in ,I went back and watched the video, now I'm off and hammering. I'm playing around with stoke speeds to vary shading,thanks for your help, I,m going to try to post some pictures when it's done.

Sponsors