stippling relieved backgrounds

Marian Sawby

Someone may have already posted this tip, but I have found a great way to stipple relieved backgrounds to get a very dark finish. I use 1/4 mm round carbide burs to relieve background on the knives I engrave and discard them if they become even slightly dull. I take a discarded bur and sharpen it to a point on my 600 grit wheel, tighten it in a GRS quick change holder, and pop it into my 901 handpiece (the monarch works OK, too ) . The stippled finish I get with this is very dark and the miniscule size of the sharpened bur allows me to stipple extremely tight areas in the deep relief engraving which I prefer. Most of these sharpened burs last a long time. If fact, I used one to stipple at least five knives. I probably have 500-1000 used 1/4 mm burs that I wouldn't trust for relieving background, but that would work great for stippling. I am willing to share some if you don't want to order new ones on your own. Marian Sawby

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
While attending a class at the new approach school in virgnia I was shown a way to sharpen beading tools using stock 1.2mm carbide rod sharpened at 90 degrees. I don't know where they get it but it makes a great stippling tool under the scope because it's so small, half the size of a 3/32 bur. I just sharpen to a needle point and go at it.

Arent carbide burs brazened onto steel shafts?

Jeff

Marian Sawby

Kevin, They are SS White dental burs. SS White sells only through distributors. I get mine from a distributor by calling her and placing the order. Will let you know her number if you are interested. I buy them at least 100 at a time. Last batch was about $140 for 100. Marian

Marian Sawby

Jeff, I believe these burs are all carbide rather than brazened. The tool you describe, "half the size of a 3/32" would be about .045, I think. The 1/4mm I use are
.010, so are much smaller. You can get into really small areas with them. I also sharpen these to a needle point. Marian

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Marian, the carbide stock I have is 1.2 mm in diameter, I can't translate that into inches but it's awesome stuff. I have a dentist that works above me and I'm always stealing his burs, but he does'nt use anything that small unfortuneatly. I've looked at dental catalogs that sell ss white, maybe I can make an order from my dentist friend. I did'nt know the burs came in any smaller than .5mm. I love your engraving by the way, it's first class stuff.
Jeff

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jeff, I buy 0,2mm carbide burs, they are from Edenta (model C1 104 002)
These are the smallest I know and work very well.
When they don't cut well any more, I sharp them on the powerhone as a screwdriver.
They then become even smaller and cut very well, and the advantage of the screwdriver model is, you don't have to stipple the background to have real black, as when well sharpened, the background looks very black using them.

arnaud

Marian Sawby

Jeff, I may be revising my assumption that the burs are entirely carbide. In my discarded ones, I noticed one with a dramatically bent shaft, which would indicate that the shaft is probably steel and not carbide. Marian

Marian Sawby

Arnaud, Where do you get the Edenta burs? I googled the name, found some sources, but nothing with the product number you indicated. I have plenty of the 1/4mm SS White burs (.010) so I won't be reordering right away, but am interested in finding new sources with perhaps even better quality. Thanks

d.soileau

i recently played with sculpted scroll. and ended up using a liner to stipple the background. depending on the angle of the tool and if you push, go side to side, or drag the tool it slightly different effect. it worked well smoothing out the marks left from removing the background.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marion, Thanks I would be interested in getting some of those .25 mm burs.
And if anyone would like to split the order with me let me know. 50 would last me a long time.
Kevin P.

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Are you all wanting a very dark background or just a nice stippled one? I can tell you how to sharpen those that will make the blackest dots you ever seen with no inks or anything in them. The first time i saw a background stippled with this tool I grabbed lacquer thinner, acetone, any solvent I could find because I believed their simply HAD to be some type of ink in this sample. Not one bit of darkness showed up on the rags.

Last edited:

Marian Sawby

Tim, The stippling I get with these tiny sharpened burs produce a background that looks like it has been painted black, as long as the bur stays really sharp. Some seem to last longer than others. Am interested in your sharpening technique as well. Incidentally, your engraving is beautiful, unique, and your work is an inspiration. Marian Sawby

Latest posts

Sponsors