Steve Hoel " New I Model" Engraved by Barry Lee Hands

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Blade Length: 2 1/4 inches Overall Length: 5 1/2 inches
Closed Length: 3 1/4 inches
Blade Steel: ATS-34
Bolster/Guard: 416 Stainless Steel
Handle Material: Presentation Grade Black-lip Pearl

Comments: Here is an exceptional and extremely rare example of the Art knife by inter-frame master Steve Hoel and Master Gun Engraver Barry Lee Hands.

This Hoel Model I is beautifully embellished with generous amounts of 22 K yellow, 22k pink and 18 k green gold leaves and stems on top of Barry's trademark "Black Satin" background.

These leaves are decorated with twenty precious stones including pink saphires, green topaz and white diamonds which accent the vivid pink and green hues of the stunning black lip pearl inlay,

The design continues onto the pearl in 24k gold with Barry's original "Gilded Pearl" technique and all the elements are surrounded by generous raised 24k gold borders. There are even three gold leaves set with three more precious stones surrounded by raised gold borders on the butt of the rear bolsters!

To top it all off, around the outside edge of the spine and front bolsters is a twisted 22k yellow gold rope border accent with Barry's "Two Hands" Signature logo on the spring in burnished gold.

As with all of Steve Hoel’s masterpieces the fit and finish is flawless and the knife opens and closes with astonishing smoothness. Barry's gold work and stone setting is of the highest quality and rarity - this is his very latest work.

Last edited:

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
That is super sleek and clean... Complex yet simplistic... It seems like your work keeps getting better and better, Barry.

Thanks for sharing!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Steve is one hell of a great knife designer, and coupled with your engraving, it's a winner piece. Beautifully done, Barry!

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
I now beleive in reincarnation Michael angelo has returned.
Barry the only nagative in your work every time you post a photo we mortal have the urge to put the tools away and let them collect dust. I for one at 57 shall not live long enough to reach this standard even practising 24 hr a day.
Truely wonderful work wish I could lay tiles half as good thanks.:bow::bow:
Ray
P.S the knife is ok too:biggrin:

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Andy, I am glad you like it.
Andrew, " Black Satin " refers to the inked and satin laquered finish, A goldilocks finish, not too shiny, not to dull, just right.
Thanks Titian I am grateful for your continual support.
Sam, thank you, I am always interested in your view of the Art.
Brian, my old bench buddy from the winnie classes, love your work bro!
Silverchip, I could not have said it better myself. . . .
Thank you very much Fred, always nice to here from you.
Mrthe, thank you, I love reading your posts.
Ray, I just started this style in my very late forties, time is still on your side my friend.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Again, Barry,

Less is more. Thank you for sharing this lovely piece with us. It is a delight to the eye and encourages the imagination. Mine again wants to infer thoughts and images of our big Universe, and imagines your gold leaves tumbling and drifting in the interstellar blackness of space ( once thought of as emptiness, but only in the last few days experiments at CERN may begin to suggest that Dr Higgs' speculation of an invisible force field throughout all of space could eventually explain what gives mass to matter).

Still imagining your gold leaves tumbling in three dimensional dark space, I love the subtle colorings of the pearl inlay, with hues reminiscent of the Orion Nebulae. In some bygone nebulae, in the distant past, giant hot stars were born and ended their short life in a Super Nova, with a blast powerful enough to forge all the heavy elements beyond iron, including atoms of gold that found their way to be imbedded in our rocky planet, and which were later, much much later, consciously imbedded in this wonderful team effort of knife maker and engraver.

Of course, I could be quite wrong about all of this, but that does not mean that it ain't a big wonderful world out there

and down here.

See ya in Reno?

Rod

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Jody.
Rod, Thank you for your insight into my way of looking at the design of ornament.
As we have discussed before with the "Inductive Layout" , which I have reinvented for my own use, by studying ancient work, the stems are determined by the location of the leaves.
A modern twist on this ancient idea of layout is my use of falling leaves on eliptical orbits, the trajectory of their mass described by Kepler, falling around black holes of negative space.
As in contrast to conventional " Deductive layout" where the leaves are located according to the location of the stem, as with points of origin, like a simple plant from the ground, influenced by fractal geometry.
I prefer Kepler's laws of planetary motion and Newtonian ideas to influence my layout.
Here is another pic:

Last edited:

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Barry, I am a big fan of your work--beautiful, elegant, and just so easy on the eye. Well done!!!

Stewart

Latest posts

Sponsors