Critique Request Sterling Silver Sunflower Ring.

ctague

This is a sterling silver ring that I made today. This ring is made out of 14 gauge sheet sterling silver. The sunflower I got from Rio Grande and mounted it on the silver band after engraving it. This is also my first attempt at Photo shop. I use the adobe photo shop cs6. I would like some help running this program if any one has any information that they can help me with. I would like to put some sort of a shadow around the rings and maybe add some scrolls in the back ground if possible. thanks for taking the time to look at my post.
Cody Tague. sunflower 1.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nicely done. Can't help with Photoshop questions. Used to teach it but have not used it since 92 when I left my college teaching position. Sorry-Fred

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
A suggestion, I like the look of the ring, but back when I was fabricating silver rings, I would have bent the petals of the flower down to the ring so they would not snag on the wearers clothes.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pretty nice ring, one suggestion from my two cents, I would have made the sunflower by myself. If done and finished like your engraving, the ring would look more as made by one person and your pricing would have been more justified as the ring would be unique.

Of course one could also make a rubber mold of the ring and cast a 100 copies without having to engrave the band. Now that I said that I will give it a try to find out how a casted engraving would look like. :cool:

About PS tutorial adding shading to the ring, do a bit of searching in the archive, recently someone asked the same question , probably he can help you already.

arnaud

Last edited:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that I said that I will give it a try to find out how a casted engraving would look like. :cool:
arnaud

With a little cleaning up this isn't a problem, I do it always with stone settings, precut the setting in the model so I only have to clean up the edges and setting the beads.
The only thing you have to think of is the size of the stones, you have to make the setting in the model a little wider because the shrinkage after casting.

Cody, I like the ring very much, I am with Arnaud about cutting the flower as well.
And I agree with Lesholmes about the snagging on clothes but I wouldn't bent the petals because this does effect the flower in a bad way i.m.h.o. I would add someting to the side of the flower on the shank( a little silver ball or someting) to avoid this problem.

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The direction of your bright cuts are wrong. They do not flow properly.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I hadn't noticed it until Haraga mentioned it, but he is right! The scroll that comes up and back into the center, the next scroll needs to come off like a "Y". It shouldn't come off in a reverse direction. Think of a plant branching. That is what the scrolls represent.
I like the look of the ring, in general. Agree about the snagging problem, but that can be dealt with by beads under the petal ends, as mentioned, ot bending the petals over more, Whichever ends up looking better will be the better solution. It's a good start!

Latest posts

Sponsors