Sterling Silver Pendant

Andrew Biggs

This is a Sterling silver pendant that I engraved while demonstrating at the Baselworld watch and jewellery show in Switzerland when I was there in March.

It measures 28mm in diameter. That's just over an inch to the metrically challenged :)

I engraved it for Mary and you can see her initials MMcC in the centre. I cheated and used only one M figuring it could double up.

And yes, that is supposed to be a face in the middle.

All main cuts done with a 120 highly polished and shading done with a 90. The cuts sparkle but the photo doesn't pick it up. It was a real pleasure to cut into something soft for a change!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
That looks great & makes a change from all the gun & knife stuff :thumbs up:
Just wondered as you say the cuts sparkle, do you prefer to leave these type of things as they are?
I would be tempted to smudge on the paint.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chris

Thanks for that.

Yes, if I bright something then I tend not to ink it otherwise the ink can dull, or fill, the cuts. By keeping the sparkle it gives it a bit of bling and is most effective on women's jewellery. Also when I bright cut something I flare the cuts a lot more by rolling the graver over to add a bit of extra sparkle.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A very creative layout, Andrew. I love it! It reminds me of the classic monogram style from the old books. Nice photo and background, too :)

So many things to love about this pendant. The face in the center is SO cool and the one at the bottom is just plain cute! I really like how you styled the larger C too.

It still amazes me how it's possible to create the illusion of black lines and/or space without using any kind of ink, paint, etc.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
VERY creative and well executed as usual Andrew. Cool little face AT 6:00 as well as the one in the center.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
So, did you miss shading some bits on purpose or did you get distracted a few times? :p
My little helper was on hand today...

Andrew Biggs

Thank you all for your kind words.

Chris.......the unshaded areas are designed to be that way. It adds a nice contrast to the black areas.........and that is a cool photo :)

Cheers
Andrew

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice Andrew, I am curious as to where you get your silver blanks from?
Also thanks again for your input on my projects...appreciated

Andrew Biggs

Thanks again :)

Ethelbert.............the pendant was just something I picked up at a local jewellers. It's also nice and thick which gives it a bit of substance. From memory it was about $50 at the time.

It's been sitting in the "to do" box for about 2 years now.......all of which proves that good things take time :)

Cheers
Andrew

mikinclark

Recently, I had an experience with the pendant through online shopping. At the time, I selected a few models of silver pendants which are more attracting me with their appearance colors, designs and purchased those collection also. Pendants will added more bright look to the chains which we wear.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
one of these days, i'm going to quit telling you how purdy your "stuff" is. till then-- this is quite purdy. thanks for showin.