Sterling Silver Bracelet, #5

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
My latest bracelet. Sterling Silver, 6". It's unofficial name "To Each Their Own". My design was an attempt to fill up a long, long narrow area with something varied and interesting to close observer yet understated for viewer across the table.

It was hard to photograph with the polished finish and Pam and I ended up with the camera and other reflections. I'm going to build a better photo setup that's permanent rather than our makeshift kitchen counter with white sheets and paper towels. For the bent picture Pam snapped the shutter while I held up a curtain of paper towel to break up the reflections. It's the best of 35 or so variations in the setup.

All comments and critique are welcome.

My personal critique is that I'm still struggling with getting the surfaces perfectly smooth.

John

Technical: 6", sterling silver, Optivisor, push graved, 2mm flat and 70 degree V, scraped, burnished and polished.

Last edited:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think you have met your stated objectives, and the design is certainly outside of the everyday. I would usually sugest having some negative space to make the leaves, scroll, flowers, etc. stand out, but maybe to each his own is this case. Good job.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the idea on using the transfer wax. Over on www.thecarvingpath.net Janel Jacobson kindly but firmly critiqued my photography by pointing out my color balance is all out of wack. I really appreciate the constructive advice. I'm going to spend this week working as hard on photography as I have on my engraving.

I had reservations about posting the photos as I knew it was a poor presentation of this bracelet. I'm glad I did or I wouldn't have learned anything new.

John

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks nice, only we engraver designers see that the design is a bit out of the box, but who cares if you can sell it.
And one could say it is not scroll and leaves, just texture, and that is how I see this.

arnaud

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Personally, I really like it. Like Arnaud says, it's texture rather than scroll/leaves per se but who says everything engraved needs to be scroll or leaves. I like your way of thinking and although there are some dog-legs in some of the shapes it is still a really pleasant design. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Sponsors