stereo microscope

leo

Elite Cafe Member
ok this is for those that are looking for a microscope amscope.com is having a big sale 52 % off the hall line with free shipping to the lower 48 I do not know how good or bad they are but if you have experience with them give us your feed back and let us know if its worth it or not cause I found out by a friend of mine who is a doctor

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I own this one.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QN5T5G/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.its has the barlow, lens that enables you to have a greater working distance, and has the led lighting that is a must.

Its been a great buy, I briefly used a more expensive model and they both looked exactly the same. Steve Lindsay has a review on his website.

Its worked for me! I recommend it for the price range.

Read the review base your purchase of that one, be careful as Amscope has many models to choose from and they might not work for engraving.

Last edited:

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
I have an Amscope. Tried to use it for engraving but it now sits next to the lathe and gets used only to inspect tool bits. I use a Leica SZ4 for engraving now. Bought the Leica for $165 on Ebay, had to add a focus assembly $89 also Ebay... I did have to make my own boom stand but those are also available used.
I do regret buying the Amscope but I had read that review on the Lindsey site and made the purchase. Guess their opinion and mine are a bit different.
View through the Leica and the Amscope at the same magnification is totally different. The Leica is much clearer, greater field of view, and much easier on the eyes for longer sessions.
The working distance with a Barlow on the Leica is also much more than the Amscope. Working distance was what caused me to buy the Leica. It is much greater on the Leica and the same at all magnifications.

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I own and use an Amscope now and it does a decent job. That's about the best I can say. I think I may have gotten lucky and gotten a good one.
Also, the pricing on the Amscope microscopes is Allways 50percent off. They've listed that way for the last 3 years as far as I can tell.
I can say that if it's all you can afford, then it will provide what you need for awhile. I will also say that I'm putting aside money for a new Leica.
Layne

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I have been using an Amscope 3.5X-45X Trinocular SM-5TX for almost a year now. Keep in mind it is the only one I have used except for the ones I used during my instruction sessions. Cost was about $600. I engrave every day and I have no complaints and I have had no problems with it.

Best regards,
David