Starting engraving

I just wanted to say hello and wondered if I could get some advice from folks out there in the engraving world. I am looking at investing in a pneumatic graver and just wanted some feedback. I am a part time knifemaker looking to add engraving as embellishment. I have looked predominantly at the gravermeister and gravermach by GRS and some at the Lindsey airgraver. Given the three what would you recomendations be for someone starting out? What are you feelings about the gravermeister? One thing that draws me to it is the self contained aspect, but on the other hand if possible is it better to go with something like the gravermach or airgraver and and external air source? How is the gravermeister on noise? I would be working on the third floor studio in my home and so moving a compressor up there is an issue as well. Anyhow I look forward to reading your thoughts and thanks for the help. -Scott

Don Cowles

Elite Cafe Member
Scott, first of all, welcome!

To respond to your question, a lot depends on your budget and your personal preferences. In any case, try them all before you buy. Small compressors with very low noise are available for engravers.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don's right you need to try them all.

I am not overly impressed with the gravermeister. Of all the GRS tools it is at the bottom of list with the system three. At least thats my oppinion.

I would say your real choice is between and airgraver and a gravermach.

If you will be at the Blade show in June both will be set up there for folks to try. It will give you a chance to try both and as a knifemaker you have an excuse to go to the world's best knife show.

Another option would be to take a class at a school that has both brands of equipment set up. A basic class at either my school or Brian Marshall's school at Stockton, CA would give you the chance to get some real time on both tools and some instruction to boot. ;)

Ray

Ray and Don,
Thanks for the feedback and I agree trying the out would be the best route to go. Unfortunately I won't make the blade show this year and a trip + class to Emporia KS or CA from IA isn't really in the cards. But you never know. -Scott

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm in the St Louis area. GRS has a nice school in Emporia but they only use GRS equipment there.

Ray

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another thing to consider is this. Lindsay gives a 45 day money back gaurantee. If you buy one and don't like it you can return it for a refund. Give GRS a call and see what kind of return policy they have. If they have a similar policy you can buy both and return the one you decide not to keep.

Ray

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i used the gravermeister for 30 or so years. i personally dont consider them noisy. yes, you can hear them, but hay they aint gonna make you go deaf. mine made about the same noise as a blow dryer. there's no debate. grs or lindsay: both camps produce bats that hit homeruns. it's up to the gal or guy at the plate.
it's all good stuff they sell. best bet for you go to one of the fega get togethers or training sessions. you will hit a home run just showing up. you can try the gear, and some pro will teach you the correct way to use it. that's a grand slam, pal !

Latest posts

Sponsors