Starting a new project, my first gold inlay

Steveareno

Starting a new project, my first gold inlay. I start with a 1inch copper disc and hot glued it to a steel plate and cut a line with a 90 degree square graver. I then used a small flat graver and went around each side of the line to create a under cut pocket on each side of that line. I then inlayed a 22 karat yellow gold round wire, 24gauge which is ½ mm thick. It was then sanded smooth and two shadow lines added on each side.

Next I copied one of Sam’s projects to Corel and sized it down. It was then printed on Epson ink jet transparency film. I prepared the disc with Tom White’s Transfer Magic and burnished it on the disc.

I am now checking to see that the transfer was successful before removing the film.

Now the hard part, cutting and shading. It is really small although the picture looks large. I’ll post a photo when I complete the project.

Thanks for checking it out,
Steve

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is quite a project to start with inlay. Shouldn't it be smarter to start with just one cut if it is your first time?

arnaud

Steveareno

Hi Arnaud
The border will be the only gold inlay the rest I'm going to try just the cutting and shading. Someday I hope to engrave like you and Jeron on your Zippo and maybe someday like Sam. I rarley get the time to practice and it takes years to get to that point, so it is just an exersize to see where it goes.

Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors