start up buy for lindsay classic what am i missing

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok guys this is it sold my kitchen sink and my first born...haha..j/k but I know have some money to make my initial purchase..

1. getting a lindsay classic $995

2. need a foot control (whats the difference) between idle adjust with regulators and without..what are the pros and cons

3.Sharpener set with basic templates; Includes: Sharpener with fixture and all four diamond bench stones (260, 600, 1200, 2000), plus 4 templates: Universal 116 degree, Detailing, 105, and Flat & Knife Combo. $294

4.(is this good for practice) High Speed Steel
3/32" square x 2-1/2"
Accurate: (.094" +-.001") 5 pack $30

total is 1568

am i missing something that i will need and cannot do without..

please keep thread to my questions...

thank you all for all your past and future help

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you may want to check this out on lindsays' forum. ton of info there to answer your question.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
I would think that the person to answer your question about the foot pedal and regulators would be Steve Lindsay.

I think buying the template system for a beginner is a big mistake. You will limit your sharpening possibilities . You will learn nothing about how to sharpen a graver and won't be able to make the necessary changes that will be needed as you progress. In the end you will spend more than if you just buy a hone and a sharpening fixture. with this combination you will be able to sharpen all that all those templates can and anything else you will desire in the future.

If you don't want to spend the time to learn to sharpen then their isn't any sense in even getting started. Sharpening is important to learn . If you can't afford those tools then just learn to sharpen by hand without the templates or get a sharpening fixture and use it by hand with diamonds stones or regular stones.

As Fred stated a good vise is necessary

Chris

Paul Russell

Look at the Lindsay site catalogue and you will see that you can buy the foot control classic in a set, which gives you everything you need to start , 4 different templates,all 4 diamond hones, a few HSS gravers ,5 M42 , and 5 Carbolt gravers + and some hand piece nic nacs. Basically all you need ,minus you work holding fixture.
I got that set as my beginner set. All up it cost me just over $1700.00.
I don't want to rock the boat in ref. to Chris De Camillis' post about the sharpening templates, but as a person new to engraving they saved me a lot time, as I was able to get a basic understanding of graver geometry after working with ( using) the template system. From there I've been able to alter gravers with some hand sharpening that I've learned since I started.
Hope this helps,

Cheers Paul.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Consider getting one of the Lindsay sharpened gravers. It's a 120 profile. It's listed under manual push gravers on the Lindsay products web page. This will allow you to study the profile, & also let you get the feel for engraving with a properly made graver.

You may need some type of magnification, e.g., an Optivisor, & a good source of light.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sharpening templates advantages: Easy, fast, small, inexpensive (for one), lightweight and portable.
Sharpening template trade-offs: Difficult or impossible to change graver geometry without having to buy another template. You don't really learn graver sharpening like you do when using an adjustable fixture or learning to sharpen by hand*. A collection of templates costs far more than a single adjustable sharpening fixture.
Bottom line: Templates work very well and there's no reason not to use them. At the same time a dozen templates won't produce graver geometries that a single adjustable sharpening fixture won't produce.

*Hand sharpening is difficult for beginners and not something I encourage my students to pursue. Absolutely nothing wrong with it and I did it for years, but I believe there are easier and more accurate solutions.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sharpening templates advantages: Easy, fast, small, inexpensive (for one), lightweight and portable.
Sharpening template trade-offs: Difficult or impossible to change graver geometry without having to buy another template. You don't really learn graver sharpening like you do when using an adjustable fixture or learning to sharpen by hand*. A collection of templates costs far more than a single adjustable sharpening fixture.
Bottom line: Templates work very well and there's no reason not to use them. At the same time a dozen templates won't produce graver geometries that a single adjustable sharpening fixture won't produce.

*Hand sharpening is difficult for beginners and not something I encourage my students to pursue. Absolutely nothing wrong with it and I did it for years, but I believe there are easier and more accurate solutions.

Here is my question... Can a sharpening fixture be used with a sharpening block or would it require a rotating disk

Could you please elaborate on the easier more accurate solutions thank you

sent from my S3 using tapatalk 2 great app for forums

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you may want to check this out on lindsays' forum. ton of info there to answer your question.

I do use the Linsay form but not as much as this one because I have an app that allows me to post reply and check my forum on my phone in all reality who is usually stuck to their computer I love getting help on the go. Just my 2 cents

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here is my question... Can a sharpening fixture be used with a sharpening block or would it require a rotating disk

Could you please elaborate on the easier more accurate solutions thank you

Fixtures and templates can be used on whetstones or diamond stones and do nor require a rotating power hone.

By more accurate I'm referring to using fixtures or templates as opposed to freehand sharpening.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For a work holder you can use a dowel with a plate on top with shellac. Round the borrow of the dowel and you can but it up against a divot in your bench pin. You will have no less range in a cut than you do with an engravers vice, but you do have to reposition your hand at each junction. Also only really good for Jewellry sized objects.
Any old vice on a lazy susan. Good if you use a scope.
But if you don't have a scope it's hard to beat the solid weight and action of an engraving ball.

Latest posts

Sponsors