standard solitaire engraved and inlaid

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Here's a standard 14K white gold with platinum prong die struck solitaire ring. I engraved and inlaid it with 24K. I like to use die struck products whenever appropriate instead of making a similar product by casting. I used .35mm wire and after engraving a channel for the wire I take a .3mm ball burr and travel through the cut. This makes a very deep inlay which will be required to endure a lifetime of wear.

Attachments

• IMG_7401_cr - Copy.png
    IMG_7401_cr - Copy.png
    1 MB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The Cafe Staff has promoted this post to the Cafe Articles front page! :happyvise:

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice. Do you use the ball bur to, in essence, create a round channel beneath the surface, and then hammer the wire in so it expands into the cavity?

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks all, Matthew, Yes the ball bur basically creates and undercut round channel that is much deeper than I could ever to with just an engraver, especially in such tight spaces.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful job Jim. I'm curious, with the burr you are going deeper, and it's narrower than the channel, how does it create the undercut? I just can't get a good mental picture.
Mark

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Mark. I first go as deep as I can with a round graver. The wire doesn't yet fit in. Then I select a near size ball bur or a slightly smaller than the wire. I plunge into the cut with the burr and it begins to create an undercut. I then continue traveling through the engraved cut all the while leaving the round ball of the bur below the surface. When I pull out of the cut it actually "breaks out" from the track. The track that is created is as wide or wider than the ball burr while the surface opening is smaller, matching the shaft size of the ball bur. Also as I am traveling I may drag it to one side and then the other side. Just the mere act of running the bur along the channel wall undercuts it. This method is crude compared to precision inlaying in steel or other hard metals. Because the 14K white is relatively soft and depth is as important as beauty I make a compromise to get extra deep and use the chaos of a ball bur. If my channel should be smaller than the wire some wire remains above the surface after hammering and is later work flush.

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Jim, great explanation I just wasn't thinking of sinking the burr in that deep but makes all the sense in the world ...... but I won't try it, lol, I have enough trouble setting stones every couple of years.
Mark