stamp removal

MRoyse

I have a S&W 44Mag im engraving for a client and he asked if i can remove the stamped S&W trademark to free up space for a detailed skull. I personally have never done anything like that and would be concerned about ruining the area. Is this even possible to do? it does take up alot of real estate.
Thank you

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
Find a jeweler with a laserwelder. They might be able to fill the stamp using small wire of the same alloy as the gun. Then sand the excess material flush with the rest of the gun. That way you dont have to remove a lot of material. And if don correctly you shouldn't see anything. Please use the same alloy or you might get a color difference and maybe if you need to blue the gun get areas where it wont blue well.

Engraving the lasered material shouldn't be a problem. For best result the jeweler can add Argon when welding and keep the weld clean of oxygen. This will make the weld even better. But it will also work without Argon. I dont use it and my welds are good and strong on precious metal and stainless steel (316L)

LahtiM39

I have had laser welding done with .006 iron binding wire and is undetectable and blues well. (Note) all laser fills will be harder than the surrounding metal so you’ll need to be a little more careful when cutting through the welded lines.

gcmeleak

I personally think that removing the company logo will devalue the firearm significantly and that the engraving should incorporate and flow with the logo,

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
I have had laser welding done with .006 iron binding wire and is undetectable and blues well. (Note) all laser fills will be harder than the surrounding metal so you’ll need to be a little more careful when cutting through the welded lines.
I really ought to have a play and see if I can find a setting that'll anneal the steel. Thinking ramp down, long pulse and fairly low power (and wide beam) - but enough to get it past the transition point.

Sponsors