Spyderco Kiwi

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are a couple of shots of a Kiwi that I engraved for a collector last year. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• spyder kiwi1.jpg
    spyder kiwi1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 329
  • sco_kiwi3.jpg
    sco_kiwi3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Absolutely beautiful job, Marcus! Lovely layout, nice shading...bravo!

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Absolutely fantastic. The only problem is "I don't have it in my collection." Just sooo nice!

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What Sam said...I like everything about it Marcus.

If you don't mind saying, how long did that take you?

katia

I like this very much. Beautiful design.
I know this will probably sound like a stupid question, but why is it called a " Kiwi?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Katia

Hey! A question I can answer!

'Kiwi' is the name of that particular knife - just what the Spyderco company decided to call that model. Other models include the Bug, the Mule, the LadyBug, the Native...

My preferred production knife company - Benchmade - gives all of their knives numbers and may or may not give them a name so when talking about them you hear things like "How does the 707 compare to the 705?" (the 707 'Sequel' is an updated version / replacement for the older 705). Of course very few Benchmade knives are really suitable for engraving so I'll have to start digging through the Spyderco catalog myself.

In case you're curious, here's a link: http://www.spyderco.com

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful knife! Thanks for showing it. I googled it and it seems they discontinued the all stainless handle model. Where can you get them?

Ken

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,
Extremely beautiful work. I appreciate you taking the time to share so much with us. Your posts and pictures have been real helpful to me. Thanks.

Stewart

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus
You have performed a minor miracale!
With the touch of human hands, you have transformed that cruel weapon into a thing of beauty.
Have a great day.
Joseph

D.Ellis

Very nice work, as expected from an engraver of your caliber. Thanks for showing it.
Yup cruel weapon for sure........I sure hope that is a registered pocket knife........much less dangerous that way you know:beat up:
Darcy:)

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken

While I was on the Spyderco website I noticed that you can use the menu at the top to go to the catalog and get a listing by handle material that gives you only the stainless steel handled knives.

I wouldn't buy from there - if you do you'll pay full MSRP - but it lets you pick out the knives you can then go to the various internet knife stores to look for.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys for all your kind comments. As I said this one was for a collector but this time he happened to be English. These knives usually cut great but this one was a little tougher than normal. The shape and size actually make them quite awkward to design but I was pleased with the result. One comment though Joseph, the Kiwi is very much a tool and not a 'weapon' by design. It's blade is only a couple of inches long and it's shaped very much like a seaman's knife in that it's designed with a cutting edge and not a stabby point. In short it's a modern version of a traditional gentleman's penknife.

One of the difficult things is that all surfaces are rounded, not a problem for a gun engraver but a challenge for those used to flat surfaces. I'm facing a real challenge at the moment though; a pair of Holland and Holland round action shotguns! Not a flat surface on them and just working out a design is a challenge. I'll post pics as soon as it's done.....any advice for photographing cylindrical surfaces?

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,

Yes, I have a tip for photography. Spray it with a matte lacquer before you photograph it. It will kill the glare and give you about the best picture you can get on rounded surfaces. Works well on flat surfaces too of course.

The lacquer comes off with acetone.

Good luck!!

Ron S

Sponsors