Announcement: Speitzer/onglette style push graver demonstration video

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, great video! I'm still not sure what you mean by "35 degree rotation". Do you mean 35 degree left rotation on the face angle (which is coincidentally 35 degrees from vertical)?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam, great video! I'm still not sure what you mean by "35 degree rotation". Do you mean 35 degree left rotation on the face angle (which is coincidentally 35 degrees from vertical)?

Thanks Mark :) The Dual Angle fixture has a rotation angle in the front and the toolpost angle. I'm referring to the front rotation angle.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
I have a question.. I have just been using the 105 and 120 to do my cutting. Is there something that the Speitzer can do better than what i am using right now?

Sam

Staff member
I have a question.. I have just been using the 105 and 120 to do my cutting. Is there something that the Speitzer can do better than what i am using right now?

If you're hand-pushing then I believe there are some advantages. At least for me there was. I will most likely continue to use my 105s and 120s for handpiece work, but I'm still in the learning curve with this tool.

Sam

Staff member
i should have said i was not hand pushing these.

If you look at Churchill's work for instance, there's a depth and character to it that I really like. I'm not certain if it's because he cuts with an onglette or not, but I suspect that plays a part. It's subtle but it's there. As Mike Dubber pointed out, many of the Grandmasters used onglettes or something similar.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
As an aside note: I'm wondering if through the years, the German word "Spitzer" meaning "sharpener" (Spitz: pointed, sharp, acute, peaked, spiky, barbed) may have been misspelled as "Speitzer"? Maybe someone who is more fluent in German could comment on this? I'm just wondering. :)

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mario Sarto on an other thread said in Germany they are called the onglette a Spitzstichel. What ever there call them they work for me. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors