Something Very Fishy

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
New project on stainless steel Tomes folder.
Thank you for looking and have a great day!

Attachments

• forum marlin.jpg
    forum marlin.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 296
  • best boat sketch.jpg
    best boat sketch.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 259

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Finally got this side done,got some ceramic paints to play with.They are time consuming to use but great fun experimenting with.Hope you like it

Attachments

• closeupMarlin.JPG
    closeupMarlin.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 156

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Joseph,
I really like it. It is definitely one of a kind. I'll bet the experimenting with paints was very interesting and fun to do.
Cheers!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
do these ceramic paints need heat to "cure" ? very colorful work, to say the least.

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, here are the specifics on this plastic enamel.
Ceramit is produced in the U.S. sells for 85$ comes in 14 colors,they can be mixed to different hues.It is low temp curing.The paints come with a catalyst and are mixed 60%/40%paint.Which is not easy when it is a drop of paint the size of a teardrop.It must harden and be polished before going to the next color.I am using hypodermic needles to mix and apply it to the work. Then leave it in the sun for a few hours to harden.
Hope this answers your question.
Hammel & Riglander Co,Inc. Carlstadt N.J. 07072
Have a great day

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
The fisherman side 2
It is said that ones engraving should be more refined in the final cuts than those cuts at the starting of the work.
Knife engraving with color is a new adventure for me. I have made many miss cuts in the beginning of this project. In part by my not securing the work correctly and the movement of the ball vise. Which is fine for bulino, but not when you are whacking away with a hammer. The side with the marlin is the first that was cut and inlaid with ceramic paints. Notice the silver spots inside of some of the inlaid areas. That is a definite no no with gold inlay on high grade guns and knives. This entire side of this knife was my practice plate to prepare me for the work on the obverse side with the fisherman. I hope you can see the difference, and the progress I have been able to make thus far.
Thank you all for looking and Have a stupendous day!

Attachments

• fisherman done!.jpg
    fisherman done!.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Fisherman closeup.JPG
    Fisherman closeup.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Sponsors