Something new.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all, I thought I would share one of my newer practice pieces.
I received a request from the local S.C.A. Equestrian group for an award to be given to their championship winner. I started this as a attempt to engrave a picture of a "Frog-mouthed" helm, a jousting type helm used in the late 14th to early 15th centuries, and wow what a learning experience it has been. I know it has more than its fare share of mistakes, but the fact that so far the people I have show it to can tell what it's suppose to be makes me feel that I have made some improvement,,,,, I think.;)
The finished piece will be a set of steel brooches, with the second piece having a engraving of a horse head wearing a chanfron (armor), or at least that's the plan for now. :thinking:

Attachments

• DSC03496.jpg
    DSC03496.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all.
Michael, I did a combination of air assisted and push. The border and basic shape were all done using my old Gravermax, as well as the background, I don't seem to have that much patients yet when doing stippling.

I did the fine shading with push graver, kinda figured the practice would do me good. It's done on a piece of 16ga. mild sheet steel, so it's not too hard to cut.