Some thing different

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Is there any of my Brothers and Sisters ever tried hand push with NO heel? I've been doing it today, and it seems easier to control.........IMO Rob

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While taking a class with Alain Lovenberg, he handed me an ongalette with no heel to use. Mike Dubber and I were shocked how well it cut. Not sure how well other gravers would work. This was for very fine line banknote style cuts

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
So far only for stone setting, where very short cuts suffice.

I‘m just experimenting with carbide-tipped microgravers, shall I try one without heel? They where pretty capricous with heels already, until I polished the heels with a felt wheel (radiused the edges) and polished the face afterwards on a bronze wheel (sharp front face) again…

Cheers

Ralf

monk

Staff member
yes. many moons ago. i had a .25" square file, no heel, about an 80 degree face ! needless to say, everything i cut was a perfect disaster. in my defense, i didn't know what i was doing. then there was the "meeks book".

DaveatWeirs

From what I understand the heel is added to raise up the back of the graver to stop heel drag when turning tight corners. If I know I'm going to be cutting particularly long straight or slightly curved lines I grind the heel to be two to four times the length I would usually do for lettering, I find it adds a lot of control

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Is there any of my Brothers and Sisters ever tried hand push with NO heel? I've been doing it today, and it seems easier to control.........IMO Rob
Long time ago with an onglette when practice hand push, I din`t put a short heel on the graver, but a long curved "belly" on it. That`s what I learned from old engravers back in Norway. Still use them :) onglette.jpg

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
Thanks for the responses............have some more research to do. Rob

Latest posts

Sponsors