some shade

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That looks real fine shading Shawn. Wouldn't less be more? Seems you do not reach the intense black like the background, or is it the photo?

Nice work anyway.

arnaud

Caty Blom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Shawn,
Did yu use an eraser by your shadows, because it like somewhere ore there are no lines but colloring grey and make it softer by use an eraser ore your finger? Greetings Caty.

hsc

beautiful work, did you remove background and stipple? What is the geometry of your graver for shading?
Steve

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work!
It looks like you did your engraving and shading with the pice flat, and then dapped it, and soldered on the ring back, how do you not get problems with your finish when soldering and pickling? Do you re-polish the pice afterwords?
Just wondering
Dave

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very beautiful work Shawn (not as always because your first....;) )
You´re the one Shawn who is showing us that mastering the shading technique is even a more important skill then just cutting a design.
Everytime I look at your work I am aware that I should pay more attention to shading, thanks for pointing us at that just by doing it so well. :clapping:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful work as always Shawn. It's nice to stop and take some time to see what you are really capable of given enough time. Speaking of time, how big of a time difference would you say separated this work from how you would normally shade. I know you put quite a bit more into this one. It would be nice if all commissions could pay enough to work at that level.
And as I said before on this piece, great flow. You break the rules but it works. Good job on the wriggle cut border as well. It's tough to cut that circle clean with even spacing one the wriggles.

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
in my opinion what takes the most time with this style of engraving is removing the background.
there is not much time difference from this fine shading compared to the shading that I usually do.

I use a pink eraser and then a cloth to polish after soldering.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Shawn, are you using easy sterling solder on your mounting, or something different?
And thank you, my art box has now been robbed of one Pink Pearl eraser for use in the shop....

Last edited:

Caty Blom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Shawn,
Beautifull work with the engraver, the reason that I asked you if you used an eraser is that I was thinking that you where shading with a pencil. May be it comes because I can not see the little lines on your picture. And I mean the light grey lines, they are so soft to see, it is great work. I like to see a sharper picture only from your form without backgound, so it is more clearly. Greetings Caty.

Latest posts

Sponsors