some scrimshaw

markpreston

Here is some new scrimshaw I have recently finished. I've been doing this for a while and recently met and began learnong from a guy who is as adept at scrimshaw as Sam is at engraving...I mean world class! I can't believe how my work has progressed since meeting this guy. (You too, Sam!)

The Bear is one side of a medallion and the powderhorn is one I made for the Ladies aggregate shooting prize at a week-long rifle frolic.

The horn was a "learning horn." I taught myself how to make a flat horn, how to do silverwire inlay and draw scroll work (poor as it may be) and finally how to use thousands of dots instead of lines to create an image.

I hope you enjoy them. All comments are welcome.

As Sam would say: "Cheers!"

Mark Preston

Attachments

• IMG_0813B.jpg
    IMG_0813B.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0814B.jpg
    IMG_0814B.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0815B.jpg
    IMG_0815B.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0820B.jpg
    IMG_0820B.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 174

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Pretty cool Mark! The hawk looks like he is hungry and looking for something to eat! Anyone would be proud to own.
Out of curiosity, just how do you make a horn flat???

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've seen Mark's hand crafted horns in person, and they are beautiful.

markpreston

making a horn flat

Gail,

Horn is a natural thermoplastic and is moldable when heated. I "cook" the horn in lard then press it with a spacer shoved into it to keep the horn from collapsing in the middle as they are wont to do. You can also use a water bath or a heat gun to heat it up. Each technique has its own "problems." Once the horn cools it will retain its new shape.

One word of advice...if you decide to try it DON'T DO IT IN YOUR KITCHEN. Horn stinks when heated and you do not want to smell it for long I can assure you.

FL-Flinter

Elite Cafe Member
One word of advice...if you decide to try it DON'T DO IT IN YOUR KITCHEN. Horn stinks when heated and you do not want to smell it for long I can assure you.

You've been run out of the house ... haven't you? :D

Awesome work on that horn Mark!

Last edited: