Some really early Ron Smith work

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
A Master Engraver Web site would be a great place to show case some of the best firearms, knife and scrimshaw engraving...
Not for sale but examples of world class and up and coming engravers... Like there's not one now...
Jerry

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep! I did that one, which goes to show that it is good to get your stuff down before you get it out in the public. It had escaped my memrory.

I have another gun, in the only style I knew at the time and probably one of the very first few that I did this way. It was just a display piece when I first started and was a Haws navy 36 cal. black powder replica. I still have it. I had just forgotten about the Winchester, except for the stock being made of maple. That was pretty unusual for anything other than a muzzle loader. Learning was slow back in those days, and I had just started doing them for the public.

Now you have let the cat out of the bag Scott. Hahaha........but everybody has to start somewhere, so I'm really not embarrased by it. That is just the way it was back then and most people couldn't tell ameteur engraving from good engraving, including me.

It is pretty strange when I find something I had done that many years ago.

Ron S

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron,
It's interesting to see some "vintage Ron"... About what year was that?
And, I think I may have to disagree with the seller and maybe you. That looks like good ole' American walnut to me. Typical flame crotch that once in a great while you could find on a production rifle. This may have been restocked but I've seen many a Winchester with wood that nice from the factory.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rex,
That would have been about 1965 or 7, somewhere in there, I think. I hadn't been studying firearms engraving ver long as you can see. I still don't remember the gun and the way I signed it was extremely unusual. I didn't sign my work much then, so this must have been signed that way for marketing and advertising.

I mostly signed my stuff with "Ron Smith-Engraver" or the R ridin' S. brand like you see on my personal buckle.

Ron S

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah, I think it looks pretty good.

Looks like it's had a lot of love over the decades, and the pictures weren't taken to showcase the engraving but that looks like pretty good flow.

You know, if you keep it up, you could get pretty good at this stuff!

:p

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
that's waaay better than some of my early stuff- some of which i'd like to hunt down, buy back, and burn...

Latest posts

Sponsors