Critique Request Some new scratchings.

D.M.

I finished another knife.My make from zero to finish. Blade, handle, sheath, engraving. Stainless steel Bolster and butt cover (SS type 416).

I'll try to post more pictures so you can see how it looks in different light conditions. Sorry for the pictures. I have no idea how to make a nice small preview line.

Let me know if you need more pictures, I can do the as long as the knife is in my hands.

The main question - is the engraving getting any better?
The secondary question - is it worth to try to put it in some catalog?

Attachments

• e4.jpg
    e4.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 244
  • e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 242
  • e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 242
  • e8.jpg
    e8.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 240
  • e5.jpg
    e5.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 241
  • e7.jpg
    e7.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 241
  • e6.jpg
    e6.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
D.M.Whats not to like,knives and your engraving are top notch keep posting & keep up the good work.J.J.

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Dmitry, well met.

I can offer no critique on your engravings. I wish I was as good as you. Your engravings inspires me to continue and get better.

However, I have some on the knife and sheath. Would you like to hear it? I might be rough, but I am honest.

And I would very much like pictures of the seam and backside of the sheath. What type of wood did you use?

//DQ

D.M.

Eh. I knew that Swedish or Norwegian will be angry at me.:eek:

By the way I do not consider this knife as Swedish, Norwegian, Finish or any other northern style. I just wanted to try this type of composite sheath\scabbard (wood with leather).
The wood is Black Walnut.

Attachments

• e9.jpg
    e9.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Muhahah! I guess we're infamous! :banana:

Anyway. Let's get cracking. This is not something written in stone. But I think that these things really could've made for a better knife. Made in a Scandinavian manner or not. Doesn't matter.

First thing. The spine of the knife looks wrong, a straight line from the blade which goes up a hill and then sharply down. The flow of the blade should continue into the handle I think. Especially the spine, for some reason, the lower lines are easier to bypass. You knife Silver1 is an extreme but good example of this.

And is that glue I see between the bolster and the lower handle part?

The sheath: The transition between where the wooden part of the sheath meets the knife should be smooth. Take a look at my friend Gunnars sheaths. I think they illustrate that very well. http://agunnarknife.wordpress.com/gallery-older-knives/

But I must say that I like the knife. Nice engravings. Good choice of material, I probably would've put a backpiece also in stainless on a similar size as the front piece. Personal choice though, like how it "frames" the middle piece.

The stitchings wasn't bad at all! You could've cut it a bit differently giving it a bit of a sleeker look.

Hmm. Think that's it! Hope I don't seem angry ;-). I took the time to write this because I could see right away that you can do better.

Time to go browse your website a bit more.. I hope that I have been helpful and not offensive.

//DQ

PS: You can easily make your own loop buttons by soldering for example a piece of silver to a rivet, gives you more stuff to engrave :thumbsup:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Though I'm not a knife maker and don't intend to be one, this thread has beem quite interesting to me. Thanks to those of you who have added to it. :thumbsup: :clapping: :tiphat:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
looks great, dmitry. so do your photos. way better photos than i take !

Latest posts

Sponsors