some more recent(ish) work...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is a lovely Harumi Hirayama "Swan" model, in the larger size. She used sterling silver for the bolsters, but a stainless steel hinge pin, so rather than try to hide it or ignore it, I featured it as a neat spherical element. I also had some fun with the various mechanical & decorative pins out in the pearl scales. The three gold pins in a row near the bolster are actually raised/crowned, but the other three- one SS lock pivot and two gold at the rear- are polished flush with the surface and the 3D spherical effect is just an optical illusion. (The close-up is a work-in-progress shot still in the Cylinder Block fixture with the blade taped.)

Attachments

• Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 318
  • Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 315
  • Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 316

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, I don't believe their is anyone in the world who could match your ability to create three dimensional scroll work. Another masterpiece of your engraving artistry. Fred

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks, Fred, I try to experiment with new & different things to push the envelope of what's possible with dots & lines on a flat piece of metal.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You're getting closer and closer to making things look like they're floating off of the surface.
Really amazing work!

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Awesome work Mitch... Shading and making your subject look 3D is not easy.... Are you inking??? Oil?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Are you inking??? Oil?

it's completely clean, no oil, no ink, no nuthin'- i even roll 'poster putty' across it before photographing to make sure there's no crud stuck in the dots. i use a very fine, very sharp graver point (60˚ face, maybe 1-1.5˚ heel), polished down to 0.1μ diamond film. it seems counterintuitive to use a super-polished graver to make dark dots, but it creates a virtually perfect point that makes deep clean holes into which light falls and doesn't return. ;-)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Super cool Mitch!, what material is the graver you use, hss? thanks,

Richard.

i use some sort of hybrid(?) stuff. can't remember if it's Glensteel or carbalt or something like that.