Critique Request Some lettering practice on a snowy cold weekend

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did some lettering practice yesterday and today for a few hours.

The first one is a leaf script e I scanned from an ancient copy of Art Monograms and Lettering by JM Bergling. I didn't alter the design in the book any and just cut it as it was. It's sized at right at 1". I cut it with my graver of choice a 110'

The second photo is a transfer of Sam's monogram vector set, about 1/2" tall, and some small script lettering using upper/lower case. I'm not thrilled with the "Hand Engraving" as I lost some of my transfer while cutting which made it hard to figure out where the design was. This was also cut with the above geometry.

I got some nice "daylight" lamps to help photo my scratchings, hopefully these images are more suitable.

If I recut the "E" again, I think I will alter some of the leaf elements from the Bergling design, as I think some of them should sweep back more. There are a few place, I feel, the leaves just spring out of no where instead of gracefully developing.

Attachments

• leaf-script-e-bergling-web.jpg
    leaf-script-e-bergling-web.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 253
  • monogram-alfano-web.jpg
    monogram-alfano-web.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Nice going, Bert :clapping: The leaf script E is really nicely cut! It's nice to see your engraving progressing as it is. :beerchug:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Sam! I really like that particular style as it let's you be artistic with shading the design. It's like a combination of scroll and lettering. What's not to like? I see alot of potential design ideas for jewelry!

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bert you're really doing nice work! Just curious is this push engraving or do you use powered handpieces. And what do you use? Just curious?

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bert you're really doing nice work! Just curious is this push engraving or do you use powered handpieces. And what do you use? Just curious?

Thank you!

I do both but mostly pneumatic. I have both GRS and a Lindsay artisan. This was done with the Lindsay tool.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks great overall, but I would like the E better if you had left off the last one or two cross shade lines on the largest leaves. My eye wants to look at those places longer than I would want it to naturally.

Latest posts

Sponsors