Some Carving.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A series of steps. The engraving in the last picture is almost finished, just a few tweeks to clean it up a bit.

Phil

Last edited:

DaveH

Very nice work. Thanks for showing the different stages of development. As a new engraver, this is very helpful in understanding how things are done.

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Phil - Thank you so much for posting this. The in-process photos help explain a great deal. The one question I still have is how much do you use a punch to form and define the leaf and scroll structure and how much is sculpting (removing metal). From the photos it looks like most of the structure is obtained by removing metal but that you had done at least a little punch work for shaping before you started the finishing and polishing process. Am I even close?

Thanks again for you wonderful posts. I go back to each of them many times. They have inspired me to try new things and to seriously work at improving my skills. Thank you.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Awesome work Phil and an excellent tutorial!
If you ever come to Texas, please give me a shout!

Weldon

Andrew Biggs

Hi Phil

Thank you for taking the time to show us the various steps that make up your carving work.

A great study peice.

So if I've got this right.............

Cut main lines remove background etc.
Rough carve and shape metal with flats
Refine carving and start smoothing out process with flats
Then start the final burnishing to make completley smooth
Background texture

Cheers
Andrew

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful I love that look. Great step by step. The only thing that really sucks is you make it look so easy. The vision you have as you sculpt is a talent only an true artist has.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Phil, you are certainly a very valuable asset to the Cafe, and your contributions are fantastic and much appreciated.

This is an excellent photo series showing your crisp and beautiful sculpted steel. Thank you!
~Sam

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Phil,
After viewing your truly fascinating work I was about to quit engraving........just kidding. But the inspiration you've shared has invigorated probably everyone. Many years ago I'd sculpted a pierced side plate for a muzzleloading rifle with European influence. I understand most of your process, so my question is do you use a spit stick or other type tool to give the sculpted area the clean edge to the background? A square corner if you will.
Thanks for taking your time to share such wonderful work/photography.
Mark
www.MarkThomas-graver.com

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think Andrew has got it about right.
I use whatever tool will do the job, ie. flat and rounded etc. to get those type of cuts, grind up different tools to get into corners etc. the same with scrapers and burnishers. It's a common sense thing really.
The only punch I use is for background matting.
It is difficult to explain carving, you have to see it being done, you also have to be able to 'see' the carved leaf etc. before you start, if you just remove metal without much thought the end job will not look good.
By the way the animals will be carved cape buffalo.

Phil

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bravo, The step by step is fascinating. I find myself focusing on one leaf or area and going back and forth between pictures to see the progression. Your statement about seeing the shape of the leaf in your mind is exactly right. That is probably more difficult for most than the actual execution. Wish I was heading your way to compare notes and peak over your shoulder.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, I don't bead blast, I was going to try it a few years ago on raised/carved gold, you now the effect i'm talking about, it looks Matt, I don't think it's beads though, I forget the name of the abrasive powder used.

Phil

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow Phil!

You can see that there was a whole lot of scraping and burnishing going on as you moved from picture 3 to 4 to 5. Must be all that elbow grease that makes 'em so smooth and shiny! :)