Question: Soldering after engraving

jbrayout

Hello, I have been seeing some work that looks like it was engraved before soldering was done. Can you engrave before you solder on borders and other findings? I would really appreciate your thoughts.
Obviously buffing would be minimal,but necessary. What do you do to not buff away your work?
thanks,
Jenny

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Last question answered first.
I was taught not to buff after engraving !
BUT, rules were made to be broken.

As to engraving prior to soldering, yeah you can do it, BUT, the pickling and effects of the flux will kill the finish necessitating buffing AND the use of ochre to prevent the solder from running over into the engraving.
Then buffing the engraving will round the sharp details, killing the effects.

It is SO much easier to solder, clean and buff, then engrave as the last step.
On my domed surfaces, I like to combine light engraving prior to doming, pickle and buff, THEN go over the scratching with my finish engraving.
For me, it is easier to draw my pattern out on the flat surface than after doming.

Experiment both ways to find what is right for you.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I've engraved a few thousand conchos and they were all silver soldered and domed prior to me engraving them. I always prep my work to a point where all I do is lightly debur and final polish after engraving. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

jbrayout

Thanks for your thoughts and help. I have seen enough of this work that I see it is possible; I will give your ideas a try.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
How long does it take to engrave "Several thousand conchos ?"

I didn't time myself, never do. This is one of my hobbies, but they where simple patterns. I posted some of them on this site. A lot were starburst patterns on 1/4 conchos. Largest were around 2".

Latest posts

Sponsors