Announcement: Solar storms today

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Forum Offline March 8
Our server will be getting a operating system security patch tonight March 8. We will be offline for a few minutes for the patch and reboot. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Sam,
That might be ill timed with the solar storm predicted to hit Earth today. It's a 4.3 and is the largest to hit in over 15 years. Widespread damage to all electronic devices is predicted and they are recommending we turn them off until it's over. This includes computers, cell phones, GPS devices, etc.

Shall we take the chance or adopt the old adage to be better safe than sorry?
If not, then perhaps one should back up important files to removable media.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As the end of the earth moves closer, according to recent predictions, there will be far more of the phenomena. As fall/winter 2012 approaches I would suggest that those believers practice the bend over and kiss your buttenski adiós

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Is it time to bring out the aluminum foil hats???:beatup: is chicken little correct:rolleyes:

LOL
Sandy

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have no control over when they patch the server's OS. My hosting company does that. But if the world's coming to an end I guess it doesn't matter. :shock:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, this one passed and was less powerful than NASA predicted. It only briefly knocked out short wave signals in Southern China. In contrast to the joking, these flares erupt cyclically on the sun and send charged particles toward earth at a million miles per second. When they hit earth, they are funneled toward our poles and are responsible for the northern and southern lights. However, while they aren't harmful to us, they can cause other damage. In 1989, they knocked out the entire power grid of Quebec. There was one back in January which caused computer disruptions here. One of my fondest memories is laying in the back yard in central Illinois watching the northern lights, which rarely reach that far south. You Doom's Day Prophets will have to look for other causes to blame.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to amend my previous post as I just learned that the Mayan Calendar does not have a Leap Year so the earth should have ended 7 months ago! Sorry about my error-Fred