So fill me in

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
I've just checked the engravable/non engravable thread, and i haven't seen a Ruger LC9 Or LC380 listed; and i am curious if anyone has tried to cut one.... it seems that most of the Ruger's on the list are shown as difficult but doable, so i will assume this as i go in for a test cut, if no one knows the answer. Thanks in advance. K Frei

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't know about the slide, but as a rule you can't engrave an anodized aluminum frame and then re-blacken it. Someone correct me if something has changed about that.

I know the LCP .380 has an aluminum frame and I suspect the 9mm does as well.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
About all you can do Sam is apply some of that Birchwood Casey "aluminum black" into the cuts if the customer wants them dark again. Most of the black aluminum guns I've done I just left the cuts bright for contrast.

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Tim. For me it's the same risk as engraving plated items as there's no easy way to repair a slip or debur or repolish.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The LC9 has a steel slide and aluminum frame. As Sam said, I wouldn't touch the anodized aluminum with a ten foot pole. Be careful even with a test cut on the slide. I think it is similar to a parkerized finish and would require a re finish.
I was thinking it might be a nice Idea to update the Cut/ Don't cut list. I'm sure there is a lot more experience with a host of other guns since the old one was put up. I'd be happy to add to it and I'm sure there are new café members who could as well.

Sam

Staff member
The LC9 has a steel slide and aluminum frame. As Sam said, I wouldn't touch the anodized aluminum with a ten foot pole. Be careful even with a test cut on the slide. I think it is similar to a parkerized finish and would require a re finish.
I was thinking it might be a nice Idea to update the Cut/ Don't cut list. I'm sure there is a lot more experience with a host of other guns since the old one was put up. I'd be happy to add to it and I'm sure there are new café members who could as well.

I agree that not only does the list need updating, it needs improving as well. It needs to be have an easy look-up so people don't have to sort through dozens of pages to see if a gun they want to engrave is on the list. At the same time, I don't think a simple YES or NO list works, as some guns might be yes or no depending on your experience, what parts you engrave, or what your tolerance is for graver resharpening.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The LCP 380 has a Glass-Filled Nylon frame.

I mentioned this in another thread but I made a test cut on the inside of the slide of a Springfield Armory XDm with good results but when I went to cut the outside it was diamond hard. After that experience I decided to avoid all work on modern tactical semi-automatic pistols. Any way, engraving a pistol with a plastic frame is like trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The LC9 I scratched something on one a while back with a pantograph. That was okay. I just did some inlay work on a Beretta Nano never again to hard. These new semi's have some crazy hard finishes on them. The metal in the Nano's slide was very hard metal. They don't seem to care what quality metal is under the finish as long as its hard. The finishes they use covers everything like parkerizing does. I had a hell of a time trying to put a nice even satin finish on it. I would probaly stay away from the LC9 unless your going just going to do some pano stuff.

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
Great thanks for all of the responses. I feel like I've gotten some good info here.
I also agree the cut/ don't cut list does need updating; and a little streamlining wouldn't hurt either. Thanks again. k Frei

Latest posts

Sponsors