so easy a caveman can do it?(intro)

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Maybe for Geico but not engraving!! = ( mater of fact it looks like a blind caveman has been cutting on my practice plate with a dull rock!!
little about me. I have enjoyed metal working from a small age. I made my first knife when I was 14..(I didnt do the engraving)

and really never looked back. The past couple years something has been pulling me towards this and I cant really explain it. The only thing holding me back was $$$$. So finally I had some change saved up and was about to order a Gravermeister. I called my father-in-law(jeweler) and asked him if he had a ball vice laying around I could buy from him.. he said no but I got one you can barrow..(100 year old echarco). I told him I was taking the plung into engraving and was going to order a gravermeister soon as I get off the phone with him and he told me dont bother I got one that we dont use any more. (oil type 1200 spm) Also gave me a optivisor, 2 120 gravers, 2 flat gravers, and one stipple graver. His bench jeweler gave me a quick run down on how to sharpen everything and gave me "The Jewelry Engravers Manual" and said have at it. So I have been scratching on every piece of brass I can get my hands on. I have mainly just been trying to get the feel for the graver and cut a half way straight line. Sometimes I can do it and it looks like a pro cut it.. other times it looks like I fell in a bottle of Crown and I just barely cut the surface or my cuts are so deep you could float a battleship in it.

When I get home in the evening I go out to the shop and fire up the graver and get to cutting and every night when I go in I am thinking "Geezus I suck at this!" but every morning I cant wait to get home and get after it again.

Hi, I'm James and I'm an addict.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome James,

Your tragic story sounds vary much like mine. :thumbsup:

If you enjoy this form of self torture one tenth as much as I do then you will have a blast!!!!:banana:

Welcome again to the Cafe...

Donny

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know why it is contagious, but we all have the "sickness!" Welcome to the world of applied anxiety.

Bill

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Even though sometimes i curse and yell, I always come back for more. One tip to remember...if you are going to throw something, do NOT throw a sharp graver or the customers job!

As an aside, Jarod Eason, another member of this forum, was looking to find engravers in Mississippi. Now there are at least 2!

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome to the cafe. Great bunch of guys here and lots of help when you need it.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What? Is this my life story!

A love, then hate, then love relationship...arggggggg.....

Carlos De La O III

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. the gravermeister will serve you for decades of use. all one need do is treat it with a bit of tlc. you will survive & excel if you just never give up. send a few quality fotos of your work. perhaps that will give the members a better idea as to the specifics of where your problems arise.