Question: Skin vs metal

Boaty

Hey guys. My name is John "Boaty" Boatright and I am very interested in learning this trade. As a veteran tattooer I am familiar with an apprenticeship and how it works and basically what it would entail, i am also familiar with these types of designs and drawing them as well as the permenace factor....what suggestions would anyone have for me to get started, and do you think my prior experience will be relatable or helpful in anyway? Depth and precision as well as clean line obsession? Or am I way off base? I cant find any discussions of it on any forums and I absolutely wouldn't want to offend anyone. I kinda hope its a new topic. Help?

Boaty

These have motivated me in general for as long as i xan remember.....so in my spare time im gonna mess up some pennys. Any advice on what to get to start out? Technically coil tattoo machines are constructed like a 19th century engraver.....but i only know one side

Attachments

• penny.jpg
    penny.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

DAK4442

Elite Cafe Member
John, welcome. My assumption is that if you are a tattoo artist with a"clean line" obsession perhaps you are a bit Obsessive Compulsive...a perfect attribute for an engraver...:). Perhaps if you lost your location in your profile, someone nearby might be able give you a little hands on?...Dan

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yeah, if you're nuts or less than sane, you will do well as an engraver. your first hurdle will be to downsize your thinking. it's easy to draw a 5" pattern. taking that same pattern down to 1 inch or so may give you fits. the next one is learning the variety/sizes of gravers. then the variety of geometries applied to them. most will come in time. get a looseleaf, take notes. it's all here, waiting to be absorbed. vids are great for many aspects of the art. learning this art today requires way less than 30 or 40 years ago. today everything is available to get you going. the rest is on you. thanks for joining, and i wish you the very best luck in your endeavors.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Technically coil tattoo machines are constructed like a 19th century engraver
Tattoo machines are held vertically like a pencil.
Gravers are held on the angled horizontal between the thumb and forefinger. They are driven by hand, hammer, or pneumatics.

When tattooing, the machine moves.
When engraving, the graver remains stationary and the work is turned into it.

Apprenticeships are pretty much only available in Europe.
There are numerous schools thruout the USA that are given at various levels. Most are a week long.

You won't offend anyone. There are zillions of threads asking basically the same question here. Also look in the Tips Archive and Tutorial forums at the top of the page.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
There are indeed some "apprenticeships", at least here in central California - starting at 3 months and running as long as needed, convenient or required.

I have had well over 20 of them over the years. Some don't work out. Some do.

There are conditions that have to be carefully worked out by both parties beforehand.

Perhaps one of the reasons why very few other smiths or engravers flatly refuse to take anyone on - are the complications involved?

But if you KNOW upfront that an apprentice is just that, and that he/she is not going to be a permanent fixture (or employee) in your shop - there are still ways to get it done so that both parties benefit.

For at least half a dozen members of this forum this has worked out quite well.

They are out on their own and making a living as goldsmiths, silversmiths, stonesetters, hand engravers or any combination of these...

If you think you would be a good candidate, contact me and we'll talk it over.

Brian

Last edited:

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
It sounds like you have the fine motor and drawing skills that are needed. I suggest a week class at GRS in Emporia Kansas. You will finds out very quickly if you want to get into engraving. The instructors are the best! Check out the GRS site they give some background on all the instructors.

Latest posts

Sponsors