sketch

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Every sketch you post is a winner!

I like everything about this, except the little piggy tail at the bottom does stand out, to my eye, to not be in the vocabulary of the rest of the design. With your excellent understanding of form and balance, it should be no problem to close that gap while remaining in the main style?

Keep 'em coming!

Rod

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I second all Rod is saying, but not only the piggytail he mentioned needs something, in my opinion the "walking stick" on the right side is standing out to whole design.
But I admire your designs in general and they are very inspiring to me.
Keep on drawing and showing !!!

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Maybe its my fantasy Shawn or my poor skills of pointing out things but the red lined part is what I saw as a walking stick.
I think the form of the leaf doesn't fit quite good to the rest of the design.
But notice I am a beginner but I try to see and learn (so take it for what it's worth;))

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem,

My sense is that when Shawn cuts and shades this design, the walking stick will be what it is, a leaf structure that is in context.
Man, I gotta get back up to those big skies of Montana again, Shawn, there's is something up there that's tweaking your muse in just the right direction. These are great designs!

Rod

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Shawn
As always I like your designs I have a file with your name on it and vist it often to study. I like the pig tail but maybe a little more taper to the end would help as for walking stick as willem said a little tweaking.
You do tempt me into knockoffs though! I need to get the pencil out but my paying job is getting in the way at the moment.
Shawn I have a question did you study under someone or the general style from a particular book or the head ??
ray

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
rayf24....i daydream a bunch.
i have books and videos (sam,lee,chrisand lynton)....i watch some part of one of these every night.
here is a buckle that i finished .....i drew on the buckle then cut it.:drawing::handpiece:
this is a first for myself.
i usually draw erase..:beatup:.draw and erase..:beatup:..transfer and cut.:pencil:

i did throw in one of those piggy tails.:rolleyes:
it is ok:thinking:...thought it would be good practice to try cutting on the fly.:tiphat:

Last edited:

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice Shawn! I think I have some of those pig tails on most all of my overlayed scrolls. Gonna have to think about that now.

Stewart

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn,

This is another complete winner, for my eye!

beautiful design and execution. Are you a Western Bright Cutter gone over to single point? No matter, it looks terrific.

Questions:

If this handsome buckle is cut in silver, what are the chances of the wonderful micro shadings outlasting the wear and tear that a buckle normally gets?

Do you always have an abrupt transition leaf to background .... which you achieve with great precision ... or do you sometimes cut a leaned over 'beauty cut' at your boundaries?

Rod

Last edited:

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
rod
in all truth i just add whatever i can fit in the area.
never give much thought to the type of leaf. i dont know if it is correct, but i try to keep the eye moving looking toward the next section for something of interest.
i think that a border can control the growth of the leaves....twisting and shaping them. the leaf is always trying to escape from its jail cell.....(that was deep)
i enjoy scratching up stuff and hope to get better at it.
my biggest weakness is shading...when i get better at shading an area things will look much better and i hope that will open up some better designs or atleast some more interesting ones.
silver wears and so do the tires on your car. you replace the tires and so i hope that when you wear out the buckle you will order another one.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
It looks nice at first glance.
I would suggest to do the same sketch again, but without inner leafs, just the backbones. Then you can see the problems of this concept clearly. You hide the origin of more than 50 % of your scrolls and some come out of very strange places. e.g. the one right in the center.
Once you have a correct concept of your scroll layout you can start filling that with inner leafs.
Martin