Help, please: Skeleton gripcap

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm making a skeleton gripcap out of 1/4" mild steel, all by hand and have it roughed out. I have no mill or lathe. I want to put gutters on the inner and outer edges because; (a) I won't have to inlet it down so far, and (b) the ridge will protect the checkered wood inside more than if it were flush.

The outside gutter will be less of a problem than the inner one because it will be difficult to get a file on the inner one. I'm thinking I will have to sculpt it out with gravers and grinders. Does anyone have any novel, time-saving tips on how to approach it?

gripcontour.jpg

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
round/ chainsaw file might help for the outside, but would go with what brian said for the inside.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chainsaw file was already what I had in mind for the outside and its what I'm using to file the inside to my lines.

I've got a 60k rpm handpiece and dental burrs but I think they're too small. Also, have never seen collars or bearings for them like a router has.
My Dremel has round stones that might work but they wear away pretty quick. Might be able to order a carbide ball burr that would work in it.

I have some 1/8" and 3/16" HSS tool bits that I might be able to grind into a round die sinker type chisel but would have to make a handle for them.
Either way, I think I will shave the inner and outer edges with a flat to a 45 degree angle and then hollow out the concavities with whatever method I choose.

Any other ideas? I needed to make this to my outside dimensions because I'm at the stage where I need to shape the wrist and pistol grip area of the stock. Otherwise there's no hurry to get the cap to final form for a while.

Last edited:

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
might be able to chuck up a carbide bur (whatever size your file is) into a drill press and flip the piece upside down. clamp the piece to a block and use the inside contour of the piece to guide against the shaft of the bur, thus setting even deepth.

could do outside this way too.

hope i was able to make this make sence.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Makes perfect sense, and the burr can't go zinging off like it does when hand-held.

Latest posts

Sponsors