simple scope stand

maako

here is my microscope stand I made for my Olympus sz microscope that I purchased from one of the members of this site.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 248

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Hi;
Looks like a nice functional scope stand. If I can make a suggestion? I would make a collar for under the block that the cross piece goes through. Once you get the height set, lock the collar.That way if someone inadvertently loosens the knob, the scope won't drop to the table and possibly damage the scope. This would also allow you to loosen the knob and swing the scope out of the way when you don't need it and maintain the correct height when you swing it back. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Don

PS. One more suggestion. Although the base looks like a hefty and heavy piece, I would turn the rectangular block upside down so that the horizontal bar is on the right side of the vertical bar. I think that would ensure more stability and center the scope over the base. You don't want that thing getting knocked over. You might consider a counter-weight on the horizontal bar also.

Last edited:

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
SuperLite2.jpg Maako;

Here is a photo of my similar stand that shows a collar below the Aluminum cross-bar to allow for rotation of your boom and microscope. With the collar are bronze bushings as well as needle bearing thrust bearings that allow for easy turning movement of the boom and microscope. These needle bearing are lubricated occasionally. My base block is made of steel and weighs 25 lbs. You cannot see the base block in this photo; and the block that you do see is a granite surface plate that I use to use Lindsay sharpening templates.

Steve

maako

My base weight is about 40 lb. And sets on a turn table to swing it out of the way. I ran the horizontal rod all the way out with the scope on it and it is very stable with the base 360 deg. No tipping issue.

maako

scrounged all the metal and had the machine shop on base bore the holes I wanted. no idea what the base was from but it had a hole and it was counter boared on the bottom so it worked out well.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Maako;

You do not need to be concerned about your stand tipping over with that base weight and width. Well done.

Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors