Question: Simple question on using Lindsay's templates with GRS gravers. (Again)

bud2

I’m a 40 year veteran in crafting jewellery but a novice with engraving. Also first time poster. I’ve read the posts on using Steve’s templates with GRS gravers but haven’t see this question.

I’m looking at the metal fixture in one hand and the round GRS gravers in the other. Not Good! How to fix this mess? There are engineering or purchasing answers but I like trying DIY first. Can always spend more money later.”

Looking at Steve’s metal fixture, the centre is an insert that holds the square shank. If you remove the insert, the remaining hole is the same diameter as the outside diameter of the quick change holder for a GRS hand piece. I’m thinking orientating can be overcome, securing the graver can be overcome – might be worth a try. But how do you remove that insert? Opposite the thumb screw, is what? A split pin or very small hex allen screw? I don’t have an allen key that small! Can that small pin/screw be drilled out? Can that insert simply be removed with the help of a brass punch and hammer?

Surely someone has tried this out before. What were the results?

Thanks for your time. Bud from the Land of Oz.

bud2

Thanks mate for the reply. Yes, possible but there are issues there. 1) getting the index correct on every graver. 2) the female accepts 2.32mm while the round shaft is 3.17mm. Meaning I'd have to remove a total of .85mm of material. I'm not sure how that would affect the stability of the graver in the GRS quick change adapter.

I'm still thinking removing the insert from the Lindsay fixture would be easier. If I just knew how without stuffing it right up! Bud

bud2

Got that little sucker out! What's holding that insert is a grub screw. Takes a 1.3mm allen key to remove it. While the GRS quick change adapter fits like a glove, I think I'll make my own insert and work from that point.

You smart guys would probably have just bought the right piece in the first place.

Thanks anyway and sorry for taking up your time.

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Welcome Bud, You will find the answers and advise to most beginning struggles along this journey here in this wonderful community of very knowledgeable fellows.
I’m certain others have pondered and engineered a solution to this conundrum. I‘ll admit to pondering it, but you may find the reluctance towards an easy answer to this may stem from, for example Ford/Chevy or Mac/Snap-on type situation.
Anyways GRS makes square blanks and if you use the Traditional QC the center is just a bit off center. But if you just choose your orientation for QC in hand piece before sharpening and just use the template as intended you shouldn’t really have a problem other than removing from QC.
Hope you have a wonderful day and enjoy this splendid endeavor. BB

Latest posts

Sponsors