Simple Pistol Cap Oval

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Phil,

You make it look easy! Most of us know it's not!
What is this going on? Most guns in your part of the world don't have a place to put one of these.
Thanks for posting your inspirational work.

Last edited:

DAK4442

Elite Cafe Member
Ok I'm confused???...:)

sim·ple
ˈsimpəl/
adjective
easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty.
"a simple solution"
synonyms: straightforward, easy, uncomplicated, uninvolved, effortless, painless, undemanding, elementary, child's play; More

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There seems to be a little confussion as to what a pistol grip cap is? Well for those not into firearms, the stock area just behind the trigger can either be straight or have a pistol grip, at the bottom of the grip is a blanked area, the cap fits here.

Some are plain, some have simple/intricate engraving, some, carved, and some with extreme carving...it depends on your taste, and pocket :)

Cap 1.jpg Cap 2.jpg Pistolcapcopy[1].jpg

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Simply beautiful! As a gunmaker I MUST ask for the grips cap depicted how are they held onto the wood? I understand how the trap grip cap is held onto the wood but the others have no screw(s) (pins) showing or are they so well camouflaged by the engraving that I do not see them.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It was a long time ago when I did these but as far as I remember, they had a thick turned shank about 5/8" diameter and about 1" long, A screw from the side, screwing into this shank held them in place, this screw went from, and was concealed under the trigger guard tang.

Phil

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Phil,

I was just trying to be a smart-Alec - thinking that the majority of guns from your part of the world have straight stocks.
And all that you've shown us are exquisite!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Phil Coggan posts are always my favorites and this is no exception. Wonderful design and execution, Phil!

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks all for the kind comments, they are appreciated!

Speaking about my own work, over the past thirty years I have engraved many guns in many different styles and techniques, but the object always is to try to create something different, sometimes it is limiting because for example when a stock gun comes along, (and there have been many of these) It has to be a design that sells, there is also a price issue and time is involved, so for example, it wouldn't be a good idea to engrave the game scenes extremely fine with all dots, this would take far too long compared to a line cut scene, the same goes for adding gold and carving. The gun however has to look good and have fine quality work because this is what sells. The gun with the base of action pictured in one of my other threads is one of these stock guns, it is of a similar engraving setup as previous stock guns that I have posted, it is in this similar style because it has been proven to sell, so the trick is to make it similar but different as each of my guns I feel has to be "one offs".

The next two guns I have coming are 5&6 of the Boss set of eight, members might remember me posting the previous two pairs, they are engraved to be progressively different, so new suggestions will be made to the customer and hopefully we will come up with something which is a step further than the last four.

So, the stock guns will finish for a while with the gun currently in progress and more constructive work will start with the Boss pair, after this a really interesting African Hunter Series gun with African game scenes and a portrait of the White Hunter on the base...then another interesting gun, a .700 double rifle with full blow carving, raised multi colored gold carving, scroll and animals and a few other things thrown in! This is a big project (probably not far short of a year) not just because of the engraving methods but because of the size of this gun.

So, what I am really trying to get across is to always look for something new to add to your engraving designs, it is more interesting to look at and gives satisfaction when it works....but the challenge is to better it next time ;)

Phil

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

I second what Sam says. It's always a pleasure to see your work, Phil :)

It sounds like you have some really interesting and time consuming work ahead of you..........Make sure you have a holiday first :)

Cheers
Andrew

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
...then another interesting gun, a .700 double rifle with full blow carving, raised multi colored gold carving, scroll and animals and a few other things thrown in! This is a big project (probably not far short of a year) not just because of the engraving methods but because of the size of this gun.
Phil

Snag is, they want it finished by the end of next week.:)

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In that case I would have to farm it out to Simon, Sam, Andrew and quite a lot of other forum members :)

Phil