Silver skull pendant

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Here is the latest silver dogtag I did. This was done in silver, even though I advised against it. Sadly, this will probably not hold up long, if he doesn't take care of it.
If I would have had my way, I would have gone for either stainless or titanium for this, but he insisted on silver.

Anyways, have at it as usual

Marc 20230912_215144.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
This is very well done. It displays fine engraving skills!
Thank you for that. The shading is outstanding.

But is it just me getting old?
Good as it is, I'm about sick of skull engravings.
Please excuse my bold comments.

Skulls everywhere. Knives, guns jewelry, I know they sell.
But they are a "one pace pony" IMO.
Not much difference between them, the good and badly done examples.

And why do we have to keep reminding ourselves of death??
It surely will visit us all soon.!!
Death is a stopper of creativity
Let's depict life.
There are lots of beautiful things in the world that we can project and display.

Sorry for my rant, please excuse me.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
This is very well done. It displays fine engraving skills!
Thank you for that. The shading is outstanding.

But is it just me getting old?
Good as it is, I'm about sick of skull engravings.
Please excuse my bold comments.

Skulls everywhere. Knives, guns jewelry, I know they sell.
But they are a "one pace pony" IMO.
Not much difference between them, the good and badly done examples.

And why do we have to keep reminding ourselves of death??
It surely will visit us all soon.!!
Death is a stopper of creativity
Let's depict life.
There are lots of beautiful things in the world that we can project and display.

Sorry for my rant, please excuse me.
No worries John...I respect your opinion and actually agree with you to a certain point. In this case, I was asked to do this and I am simply not yet at a point in my engraving I can pick and choose jobs yet. I have some really fun things in mind for future projects though...totally different from this. For now though...if I get asked to do another skull, I will probably accept it again...just to gain more experience.

Marc

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
You may be surprised how that silver holds up. Back in march I made my wife a necklace pendant from sterling silver. She has worn it 24/7 (even showering, sleeping etc) since the day I finished it and still looks great! The necklace itself is in worse shape since it was a cheap sterling chain. My 2 year old son love to pull on it when she bends down. Definitely not as strong as stainless or titanium though I agree. Amazing work though! I always look forward to seeing your posts

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
No worries John...I respect your opinion and actually agree with you to a certain point. In this case, I was asked to do this and I am simply not yet at a point in my engraving I can pick and choose jobs yet. I have some really fun things in mind for future projects though...totally different from this. For now though...if I get asked to do another skull, I will probably accept it again...just to gain more experience.

Marc
Thank you Marc. I respect you, your opinion, judgement and work.
And I understand that you have to make a living,
You can not always chose the content.
As an oldster, this latest and popular skull engraving theme disappoints me.
I will just have to avoid looking at any of it.

monk

Staff member
hold up very well ? looks to me a few of the teeth have already met the fate you predicted ! i agree in part with john; the motif is kinda everywhere these days. i must also confess to having engraved a ton of nonssense for a lot of people. i guess one could call me a " gentleman of the night". at least it was money earned legally.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Marc. I respect you, your opinion, judgement and work.
And I understand that you have to make a living,
You can not always chose the content.
As an oldster, this latest and popular skull engraving theme disappoints me.
I will just have to avoid looking at any of it.
I fully understand your point of view. As a tattooer I havr to do a whole lot of things that have been done "too many" times before and most things tattooed will most likely come from the most trending designs. The infinity symbol is one of those, hahaha.
Thank you for the kind words about my work or me as a person in general. It truly means alot coming from someone like you, who I myself respect a whole lot.

Marc

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
hold up very well ? looks to me a few of the teeth have already met the fate you predicted ! i agree in part with john; the motif is kinda everywhere these days. i must also confess to having engraved a ton of nonssense for a lot of people. i guess one could call me a " gentleman of the night". at least it was money earned legally.
The skulls are everywhere in general, I guess it is just one of those trends.

Sometimes you have to do, what you need to do. Even though it is not your favourite thing to do. Like doing the dishes, hahaha.

Marc

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Or the Chinese/ Japanese characters tattooed on people. Wth?
the ”dog tag” is beautifully done, for me the skulls & Harley davidson are everywhere. I don’t understand the premise . You ride a donor cycle? Don’t mean nuthin.
I made myself a silver cuff bracelet 20 yrs. Ago , I wear it 24/7. It’s wearing on the bottom portion barely.your DT should hold up fairly well.
my opinion only no disrespect meant.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
John..."one pace pony"? That mean you were a jockey once upon a time? hehehe
Yes friend Sam, you are correct.
That was many moons ago..
And you have a really fantastic memory!

Take care, stay well.
The skulls are everywhere in general, I guess it is just one of those trends.

Sometimes you have to do, what you need to do. Even though it is not your favourite thing to do. Like doing the dishes, hahaha.

Marc
Thanks Marc, and I understand about doing the dishes. HA ha!

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
I engrave a ton of inside rings and over the last 45 years I'm always amazed how the trends come and go. The last major one, which is starting to die out, are the geographical co-ordinates where a couple met, proposed, honeymooned, divorced . And since I get paid by the letter I'd like to keep that one going.

Skulls will pass, not entirely, but will slow down. I'm not a fan of them either John, but I'm a fan of paying my mortgage on time. I am a fan however, of the way this skull is done. Most skulls are just face on transfers, a little bit of detail, just enough to get the idea across. This skull however is not only correctly detailed anatomically but placed in a left facing downward position that is just hard to do. Oniemarc - I'm not a fan of skulls but I am fan of your skulls.

And the teeth look worn only because the photo is a little out of focus.

Great piece of work.

Allan

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
The co-ordinates are finding their way into tattooing now, hahaha. Pinterest...great place to find unique designs.

Thanks Allan for the great compliment. That truly means alot.

Marc

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Marc did his usual great job on that piece.
No criticism of his fine work was intended.
His scrollwork, shading and the skull all project his outstanding artistry.
My criticism is of the recent "skull trend" in the engraving industry, nothing more.!!

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Marc did his usual great job on that piece.
No criticism of his fine work was intended.
His scrollwork, shading and the skull all project his outstanding artistry.
My criticism is of the recent "skull trend" in the engraving industry, nothing more.!!
Thanks John...like I said, it truly means alot coming from you.

Latest posts

Sponsors