Help, please: Silver Plate

nicglass1

Hi everyone was wondering if anyone could help me. Im trying to find some sterling silver plate that is at least 10mm thick. If anyone knows somewhere to get it can u please let me know

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What dimensions do you need? Your best bet is probably going to be melting down grain to pour your own ingot and mill it to spec.

What's the end goal? That's a pretty thick piece of metal in silver.

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
He will need suspenders for his pants ;) That is going to be some pretty heavy belt buckles.
Probably what Bert said be the way to go.

Peter

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
10 mm thick is going to be in the 40-50 oz range in a size for a buckle!!!! If he drops that on the family jewels, he gonna be a soprano!

If he wants thick you will be better off by using thicker gauge material like 12-16 gauge sheet and using silversmithing skills to dome or fabricate a look that's thicker. Think building a box

Or better yet doing some deep drawing techniques with a hydraulic press. Check out bonny doon and rio grande.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
4" x 6" x 10mm? How big is the customer this is gonna be for?

95% of my production has been in 16ga. sterling. (I am NOT fond of Argentium)

I've made a few 14 ga buckles and maybe one 12 ga buckle in a lifetime... and all of these lost a lot of the weight in filigree work or drilling for stones.

We once did a California gold miner buckle that was 10 ga, but probably half or two thirds of the metal was removed in the carving of it. Good luck with 10mm!

I'd sure like to see a final image and the finished specs on it. (Wt. & dimensions?)

Brian

Last edited:

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
My advice would be to do a casting. Built a wax model of the buckle and have it professionally casted to avoid air traps and have controlled cooling. After the casting you can work the cast to whatever finish. To buy just a plate and have it worked to a buckle will leave you with a lot "scrap" metal.
Wax to form a model should be available with any jeweler’s tools shop. For companies to cast silver in your area you should check the yellow pages or internet. The price for casting is variable but always cheaper than a solid plate of sterling silver of 10mm.
Hope this will help.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well your question has been answered. i once did one .250" thick. the buckle was i think about 5 x 7". it nearly gave my magns block a hernia. was of solid brass. it was for a mountain man reenactor. as i recall, the belt was 3" wide.

Latest posts

Sponsors