silent compressor attempt

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
I have been oogling over my in laws Sil Air compressor for past few months but refuse to pay the stupidly high price for one knowing what all they are made out of.
So i was over at a friends house who is a HVAC guy and asked him if we got make air compressor out of a spare fridge compressor he had laying around.. he told me thats not possible lol. So I showed him a pic of the Sil-Air. His face was priceless. He said well I guess you just need a tank, one way valve, relief valve, regulator, pressotat and you should be ok.

This goes against my general rule of thumb about not screwing around with air compressors but $300 vs $1300 is worth the chance.... If you hear about a massive explosion in south mississippi, and I dont post anymore yal know what happened to me = (

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
the oil issue was the same thing i was thinking about.. I think I could find a in line oiler similar to whats on my OLD gravermeister and then put a seperator between the compressor and the tank?

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Sounds reasonable. I looked into this a while back when I was still considering an air powered system. I went to a PowerGraver instead so avoided the whole issue. Sneaky of me, huh? There are several videos online and probably even more blogs about making a silent compressor, Might be worth your time to wade through a few before you begin on yours?

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
yea i have about five tabs bookmarked right now and one has a pretty good diagram on it which my buddy says is all he needs

leo

Elite Cafe Member
hey Beladran have you looked into California air tool there good and quiet usually you could order them at home-depot and for 300 you could get something real decent from them and that way your wife or girl friend wont start making early plan on getting you a life insurance

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Be really careful James. It's not worth getting yourself blown up over!

BTW, got a Kamado Joe cooker and it's fantastic! Thanks for all the info on that :)

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I built one with 2 fridge compressors and am going to add a a/c compressor in next day or so , as long as u have all your safety devices in place its no different than store bought. Just add air tool oil from time to time in the intake have an oil separator and your good.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I will add be very careful around the capacitors. Even unplugged they store energy. Some can store enough to kill you. You can also look at using a compressor out of a car. Just tac weld the clutch and get a 1/2 horse motor pully and belt. Mount them down good to go. Not as quiet as the other compressors but still quiet

Sponsors