Question: Silence in the studio please

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Experiments conducted in Germany and at the University of Southampton in England show that even mild and incidental noises cause the pupils of the eyes to dilate. It is believed that this is why surgeons, watchmakers, and others who perform delicate manual operations are so bothered by noise. The sounds cause their pupils to change focus and blur their vision.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All those years of AC/DC and the WHO played at "11" made me darn near deaf but now I know why I can't see well either!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i have a small pack of hyper Jack Russells (used to have 6, now down to only 3 :(). i've trained myself to flinch AWAY from whatever i'm working on when they erupt. not sure if my vision is affected, but my blood pressure sure spikes sometimes...

Andrew Biggs

So that explains why I could never see the band properly in my youth when I used to go to live concerts.......... I always thought it was the chemicals and alcohol. So Mum and dad was wrong after all!!!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I thought it was my age but I must admit that I am better able to follow my scribed line since I removed "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" and "Born To be Wild" from my play list! Maybe we, as a group, need to get a play list from the "Masters" of engraving as part of our tool kits?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred, you must have the "radio cut" of In A Gadda-Da-Vida on your play list. You need the album cut with the 18 minute drum solo!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I was writing AE-21 I surveyed the engravers asking if they listen to music while engraving and if so what. Most listen to some type of music but one said he preferred to work in silence. Of course if you use a power driven graver or H&C there isn't much silence. I have read that Spanish engravers in the gunmaking city of Eibar keep a canary in a cage near their bench. Must go back to the days before radios.

FWIW, I listen to classical music, especially Baroque. Can't say it makes me a better engraver though.

RB

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Roger you need to check out the classical tune Chris listens to while engraving. I believe it was a piece put together by Vivaldi, quite stimulating.
Eric

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike-Tundratreker- I am sorry I missed your question! There was no formal study involved. Just experience with the customers I have. I have heard the same from other "production" engravers and some of the leading masters. A couple of years ago I was visiting with Ray Viramontize (sp) at a gun show and memtioned to him that I like the more lines to the inch shading and he warned that very few of the using guns he has done were done this way. Said people like to show of the gun but want it to be easily viewable. Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a little smooth jazz or classical works for me. avoid gatemouth brown. i've found it impossible to engrave when listening to his music. having had lens transplants, if my pupils dilate, i'm not aware of it.

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
Hmmmmm, i still think I'll be listening to Led Zepplin, the Stones, Eagles,,,etc...... Call it habit :)

Latest posts

Sponsors