Question: Showing wetter a photo or not in a tread.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Probably this is one for Sam. I was wondering if it is hard to fix. Now a tread with a picture in it has a camera icon in the index. But if one adds a picture that comes of his own server as that is the way I do it, that picture icon doesn’t show up.
Could be Sam encourages everyone to use his server to add pictures as an attachment, anyway, I’m using my server not spoiling too much space and traffic on his.

But some of you might be less interested in new treads that have no picture icon, I’m curious about that.
I know pictures are more important than just text now a days.

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am very interested in threads with pictures, some old ones in the gallery has gone and I regred this very much.
But I don´t think this is in Sam´s influence to restore that, that´s a pity.
But like you said Arnaud, a picture tells (sometimes) more than a thousand words. (..or didn´t you say that...:beatup:)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I agree that this would be a good feature. I don't remember seeing an option for the camera icon to appear with off-site hosted photos, but I will check.

mrthe...do you know? You are very familiar with vBulletin.

The only advantage for photos uploaded and being in the Cafe database is that they will never go away. If someone posts photos from Flickr and then they close their Flickr account, then those photos will disappear in the Cafe.

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
The camera icon is there if someone attaches a pic. Unfortunately you can't see these unless you log in.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
There is another advantage to uploading- a lot of photo sites block "deep linking". I see problems with this a lot on other forums. The poster has viewed the photo on the original site, so it is stored in their browser cache. The insert the link, and they see the photo so they don't realize there is a problem. However, the original hosting site blocks the link, so no one else can see the photo.

Sam

Staff member
I just heard back from vBulletin tech support. Their reply is "Not without customizing the code. It is meant only for attachments."

Good points, Walter. Hotlinking or deep linking definitely has its potential problems. Uploading your photo as an attachment is the safest way and it goes into the archives and can always be seen.

Sam

Staff member
I might make a suggestion for those using photo hosting sites or their own website when putting images in posts. Put [Photo] in the thread subject line. Like this:

Barry Lee Hands engraved knife [Photo]

That will tell everyone there's a photo attachment.

That's the best solution I can offer at this time. :)

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, thanks for your efforts on this, yes [photo] will do.
I agree that if one uses the attachments feature, the pictures won't get lost, but as I use a server of my own, making backups too, mine won't get lost neither. Only when the sky would fall on our head, but then also yours will be lost.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors