shotguns progress

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
A few days of engraving later I have completed the outlines of the ornaments on the bottom, the foreend and the area around the pivot pin at the sides of the guns. I now continue on the side plates and later on the trigger guards. The last picture shows my bench -cleaned up for the picture- and all tools I use for this project.

Martin

Attachments

• both guns.jpg
    both guns.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 454
  • side begun.jpg
    side begun.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 397
  • My workbench.jpg
    My workbench.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 400

Andrew Biggs

Hi Martin

Looking good!! Thanks for the progress photos.

That is one very clean bench alright...............how can you find anything being so neat and tidy :)

I'm glad everything is alright with you with all the flooding in Steyr.

Cheers
Andrew

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
The first part of the ornament on Nr. 1 is now shaded. Maybe it is interesting to compare it to the still just outlined ornament on Nr.2.
Martin

Attachments

• Shading 1.jpg
    Shading 1.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Shading 2.jpg
    Shading 2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 180

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Martin, I want to learn something from your designs.

Your shading is far from overdone but rather well balanced.
As far as I can see in your main lines cutting, it seems you cut these lines in a way the little background is already black.
I suppose you do not use a rotary drilling tool, but cut the black areas in the background with the same tool you use to cut the main lines.

I have seen some of your designs that shows a particular style that is yours, mostly with a lot of scrolls and leaves, and with less background.
I also think the blacks in your background are hard to remove with a drilling tool in a rotary hand piece.

After reading Ron Smith"s books about design, yours are not corresponding about what he tells about equal leave mass and background.
Sure your background is balanced with the leave mass, I think you solve that with the shading, so the tonal wide is balanced all over the engraving.
So please don't think I have any critiques on your designs.

Removing background with a rotary tool, for me it is the most boring part of engaving, as it takes a lot of time to do it right. Mainlines and shading for sure, are the most interesting parts.

Questions:
- Am I right you cut the background while cutting the mainlines?
- Do you prevent to cut designs with bigger background areas?

arnaud

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Designs with large open areas are more difficult to design and must be planned ahead. I find it easier to keep the backgound small and that helps to create a really rich effect. I do not wanted to give this ornament the look of a grille. There is no kind of a philosophy behind that, it is just my present style. The tiny background parts are cut out by fine hatching with a shading tool and are then carefully stippled with a single point punch.
In my first post there is a print you can study. At the lower side the ornament is only 30 mm or 1.180 inch wide. Thus the leaves have very small areas and do not allow for much shading lines. The engraving was not inked for the picture, but the shot is a little underexposed to create the dark effect.
Martin

Last edited:

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Awesome Work Martin! I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures. Thanks for posting,

Dwayne

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Martin, these look fabulous. You are balancing your scrolls beautifully. Too many times you see engravers unwilling to cut away background that cut large scroll the same way as English fine scroll and it just doesn't look correct whereas this style a) keeps the cutting away of background minimal and, b) looks natural and well balanced. Thanks for sharing and inspiring, Martin.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Superp Martin! I always love seeing your designs.
I too like how the scroll has limited background removal yet has a very balanced look.
Rex

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's no wonder you're one of the best in the world. Absolutely fabulous work! I love seeing progression photos like this, and thank you for posting them. There's much to be learned by studying your artistic layouts. Bravo!!

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for your very nice comments! It is going to take some time to complete the shading. I will post more pictures later. Thanks again,
Martin

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They are looking beautiful Martin. Hurry up and get them done. Can't wait to see the end results:) Such a job must be quite a challenge. Not only do have keep everything symmetrical on one gun, then you have to do it again. Your handling it like only a professional with your talent could.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Martin

Looking fabulous............I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. So much detail and richness in there that it could take quite a while to take it all in.

Cheers
Andrew

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Martin for taking the time to explain about your design with tiny background. I understand your designs are your own style and are build up with pretty small scrolls in a way you don't have wide open background spaces.

I'd love to see the progress of this, arnaud

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Well Martin, I don't know if it's any benifit for you to hear what I have to say but,

Your Scrolls appear to be alive!

alfrisillo

You give it life!!

Martin,
It is remarkable how the unshaded scroll work comes to life when you shade it.
Very beautiful work.

Al

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Martin,

Superb. I am looking forward to the finished piece.

Lee

Sponsors