Shellac sticks to silver and destroys the enamel

Hello,

I am workign with fine silver. Engraving and hammering it to achieve various textures. I am using dark brown shellac to hold the piece. When I am done with the piece, I heat it up to remove the shellac. But pieces still stick. When I enamel them, it destroys the color and causes problems. Problems are:

1) Heating the silver thoroughly which will remove the shellac however it destroys the shine
2) Dipping it in acetone/boiling water which rarely works and also destroys the shine
3) Heating it using torch (carefully), does not remove the shellac completely.

I would appreciate some advice on;

1) How to remove shellac without destroying the shine
2) How to make sure silver is clean of dirt/grease (so it is ready for enameling) without destroying the shine

Thank you so much. I am in a country where thermoloc is not available so would appreciate any ways around the above problem.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Only heat enough to remove piece, way before red hot.
the correct solvent is denatured alcohol. I keep it in a pickle jar. Drop the piece in & let it set a few minutes, swirl the jar around. Remove & wipe off with rag. Repeat if needed. Of course the thicker the shellac the longer the process takes. Good luck.

Only heat enough to remove piece, way before red hot.
the correct solvent is denatured alcohol. I keep it in a pickle jar. Drop the piece in & let it set a few minutes, swirl the jar around. Remove & wipe off with rag. Repeat if needed. Of course the thicker the shellac the longer the process takes. Good luck.
Thank you for the advice. I shall buy this tomorrow. Will this destroy the bright cut brightness on my silver?

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
No , will not ruin bright cuts, wash piece in mild soapy water.
no heat gun? , use a hair dryer or gently use torch.

Latest posts

Sponsors