Question: Sharpening question

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
I bought my grs hone and dual fixture used.
How can I check to be sure that it is indexing correctly.
Reason I ask.
I made a120 the other day and things just look off. Cant get a parallel heel ends up being wider at the point then the sides.
Nothing slipped in use as it has done it before.
Thanks
Dale

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
for a parallel heel you have to search a bit until you find the right angle, it also depends on the face angle and the heel angle. So a blank 90 degree for instance, face 45° and heel 20°, you will need a almost 50° for a parallel heel at a lift of 20°

45° degree heel on a 90° square blank will never result in a parallel heel.

arnaud

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
First, true the blank as Brian suggested. Then remove the same amount of material from each side of the point, so that the point of the graver is center-of-mass, i.e. in line with the spine of the graver.

After you grind your face angle, look at the face from above. The graver tip should be in line with the center of the graver spine, and the two cutting edges on each side of that point should be equal in length.

If they are not, then drop back to one-degree and remove metal from the narrower side of the belly of the graver (as you remove metal that cutting edge will grow longer) until the two cutting edges are equal in length and the tip is centered between them and in line with the spine.

Now, when you add your heels, they should be parallel, or close enough to cut well. The heels must meet exactly at the center of the graver, or it will not want to cut straight.

Last edited:

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
I recently bought the dual angle fixture and was surprised to find it out of index. I hadn't read the instructions for the fixture because I had already used one in class and assumed that I had it down. I couldn't make a good heel to save my life, and I was getting hot. As a last resort I checked the instructions. Sure enough, there it was in black and white, "how to index your fixture." It's simple and fast to do, and then you are golden.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I don't have the calibration pin. I need to "make" one. What's its diameter?

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Sounds like a common (hardened) "Dowel Pin." If you have any friends who are machinists they may have one or more in their tool box.

Latest posts

Sponsors