Sharpening jigs ...meh.. who needs them ?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam .... perhaps its been a while since you watched the video but you make no mention of the method I described and I'll remind you the original point I made was about a low cost ROTARY diamond sharpening hone .

My apologies. Forgot you were hunting for a low cost rotary setup.

warren smith

lol... good point .. I still just wanted to talk about saving money ... why spend money when you don't have to? .... so often conversations that take place in forums such as these are not how they would occur face to face ...

Andrew Biggs

not quite sure why I would be flogged ?

You won't be flogged :)

Micheal just has a persecution complex when it comes to hand sharpening. :)

We are a diverse forum and there is every method of sharpening and hand engraving that you can think of.........and that's the way it should be

Cheers
Andrew

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Warren,
Glad to see the lol. I figured you might have forgotten your post title.
Not everyone is into the lowest price solution. If this were a business for me I'd be more concerned with productivity than saving a dollar on sharpening. And I can certainly understand that train of thought. As a retired, over the hill, grumpy ole hobbyist I can spend time building equipment and not be losing sales over the time spent. And I have time to search for low cost solutions.
Cliff

warren smith

unfortunately its not a matter of having spare time to find low cost solutions... its always a matter having no choice but to go to the low cost solutions ... its as simple as that

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think the investment in equipment, whether simple, hand sharpening methods or power, depend on where the artist wants to go with his engraving. A carpenter may use hand tools to make something for himself, but goes to power tools when production and profit enter the picture. It's all up to the individual. By the way, my Dad always had a certain look when concentrating on a project, and that included having his tongue in a very particular place, with furrowed brow!

Bill

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Here is my view, as Im a student of the Forums. Learning this on my own. In 5 pages what have I learned? I have read 5 pages of the forum and found out that their are many ways to grind and sharpen. Really!!!
I can tell you that I have bought 3 package deals off of the Café In all that I have bought not one usable graver came from the mix. That's 2 lindsays and a Ngraver. One came with a GRS power hone ,stand and multi angle jig. The others came with Lindsay jigs plus gravers. All gravers were junk.
They didn't learn to sharpen with the best tools that money could buy.
So I hear you say that its a better and cheaper way. Show me, teach me and Ill sell about 20 templates , hone and jig. Im afraid that you had the chance to sit down and learn work with somebody that taught you the skills that you are talking about. That being a luxury that my life doesn't allow at this time. I however have time to watch a video or 2 a week .
Thanks
Dale

warren smith

I hear your frustration Dale.. I also never had anyone show me ... as a matter of fact after I completed my first piece my jeweler friend asked me how I sharpened my tools .... I looked at him blankly and said "Sharpen?" .. I didn't know you had to !... if you study the photos of any sharpened tool all you have to do is figure out how to repeat that .... Why I like my method so much and why it works for me is I get to make decisions on the fly .. a little harder material and I adjust accordingly .. slight curve , adjust accordingly .. almost all of the various angles that will cut are useful in different situations ... sometimes we need wider cuts .... If I have time next week I'll see if I can make a short vid that I can email you ...

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dale, I want to invite you to an inexpensive weekend in Monteagle Tennessee. Scott Pilkington puts on the best get together of engravers anywhere. Traditionally it has been held the weekend before or after the Blade knife show in Atlanta but this past year it was in Sept. You will meet engravers and other engraving fanatics from all over. Great food, great environment, great music, great people and great open and generous sharing of information. It is not far from Ohio and you have lots of time to prepare and plan. You can camp or motel. In the mean time try to get together with some other engravers in Ohio. There are several. Fred

Sponsors