Question: sharpening a stippling tool

tkelch

I am working on silver for the first time just doing some simple lettering in the style of the stippled script from sam's video and the stippling is not dark like it has been on other metals so I was wondering if there is a certain angel to grind and what the best settings are for my Lindsey classic that works best? The silver is .999 coins if that makes a difference? Thank you for any help.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
look on page 3 of the forum. your question may be answered there. spend some time.this forum covers much more than any book or dvd could possibly cover "leafing" thru the pages. look in the tips section. there's a "post doc" education here . all one need do is a bit of searching.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mine is simply sharpened to a needle point. It can also be faceted with 3 or 4 sides if you prefer. My stippling points are round though.

Zoom all the way in with your microscope and carefully examine the point.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I tried all kind of sharpening, faceted more and less ones, different angles, round, polished not polished.
I now sharpen them into a needle point under the microscope using a handpiece and rubber wheel.
It is the Yellow Diamond Disc on top that I have from Alexander Sidorov son's "engravers tool shop".
They can highly polish carbide and C-Max too.

Last edited:

mrthe

Interesting Arnaud , i had see the Sidorov's video time ago where sharp and polish with this wheels and is very interesting, how do you buy from it? exist a sort of catalog online with prices and shopping cart?

Another curious thing about the video is the way that sharp the onglette, why make a central channel in the point?

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paolo, I do not know why Alexander makes a central channel in the point.
If interested in de tools, I suggest that you sent a mail to Maxim. as you are located in Europe, would be easy to ship for him. I know Chris also uses that wheel he got from Sidorov.

If you want to sharpen a lightly rounded flat this wheel will make it easy too. I thought Sidorov sharpens almost all his gravers using hand piece, wheels and microscope.

Did you click on the link "engravers tool shop", it shows some of the tool shop

arnaud

Last edited:

tkelch

thanks Sam. I don't have a micro scope yet but I will try using the 10x loop I have to sharpen till I get one. I do have one other question about the drop shadow you show on the stippled script but I can not seem to get a picture that shows it very well.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 124

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You have the right idea, yes. Take care to maintain consistent spacing and width of cut and you should be good.

Sponsors