Shading: cuts, stippling or both

Salvi

I have found a pic of this fabulous pattern on the internet but according to the picture I am unable to understand if shading has been achieved by cutting, stippling or both techniques. It also seems to me that it has some relief, or perhaps is just a visual impression?
Thank you

Attachments

• pattern.jpg
    pattern.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gerry Beathard has been engraving some nice derringers with a similar pattern. I think he does his shading with lines.

The ones pictured here appear to have stippling.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks like Otto Carter's Snake Charmer Bond Derringer to me. I always assumed he di dots with a bulio style but never asked him. He does this style quit often. To me he is kind of know for developing it in the derringer line-up. Fred

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gerry achieved it with 99 lines per scale!

He can comment further when he gets a chance, he's at the GRS training center (lucky him)

Here is a sample

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos , on this one i only did about 40 lines per scale. The first one had about 30-35 in three different directions, but I found that even though it took a lot of extra time, I didn't get enough extra depth. I have to warn anyone wanting to do a snake or fish scale pattern that it takes a lot of monotonous work. Hours and hours of straight line shading get very tiring.

On Otto's version if you look behind and below the large hole (where the barrel release pin goes) the scales have faint lines. I believe he did lines and then stippled lightly on top.

Latest posts

Sponsors