setting up silentaire compressor and gravermach at

James

Hi! I just got a silentair 50-15 compressor and gravermach at from grs,and was puzzling a bit over setup ( I had to build a special bench first!) GRS recommends the compressor be set up with 40 lb cut-in and 60 lb cutout, and the compressor is factory set up with 90 lb cutin and 120 cutout. The manual shows that somewhere on the compressor are screws to adjust cut-in and cut-out pressure, but advises only "trained personnel" do this . Please, if someone can advise how they have theirs set up it would be much appreciated!

guzzi

James: The compressor is properly set, fill pump with the oil and install the air filter per instructions. Adjust the air pressure regulator on the compressor to 40~45 psi. DO NOT ADJUST the pressure switch, it is pre-set for the GRS equipment.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi James-

I'm surprised that GRS would actually specify/recommend adjusting the cut-in/cut-out pressure on the compressor motor itself, as opposed to just setting the regulator pressure like Guzzi suggested. It's not a horrible idea to run your compressor at less than its max capacity (easier on the motor), but only 40-60psi is pretty low- i'd think maybe 80-100 would be low enough for that purpose. Too low and it defeats the purpose by making the motor run much more often than necessary.

However, if they really mean that, the instructions for setting the in/out pressure on a compressor can usually be found inside the plastic cover over the switch.

Also, if you didn't already get, or have, proper filtration, you need to buy this, too:
http://www.grstools.com/air-compressors/004-579.html either from GRS or something comparable from a pneumatic supply co. These engraving machines need clean, dry air.

Last edited:

Sponsors